Location of ventilation holes for homebult incubator and a couple other questions - help please!

MeowMixx1980

Hatching
May 8, 2022
I'm working on a mini fridge incubator conversion and I am a bit stumped on how to best proceed with adding ventilation. I saw how a gqf had the holes on the back l, looked like 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom, I believe 1 inch in diameter? My conundrum is the fact that while I was able to remove the majority of the fridge stuff like the compresser and such, I can't remove the coils without destroying this fridge evidently. No way to remove the plastic insert without ruining it, so the coils are still inside. If I were to do the same ventilation style on the side, would that still work, and would I do it to one or both sides?

I wanted to implement a false wall I believe it's called for ductwork, but the inside isn't as deep as I would like and again, with the coils in the way, cutting out holes and doing ductwork on the back is not feasible. How does this setup look to you? I am test running it now to see if I get it to temp and it holds. I have 2 fans, one in the back facing front ward, and one on the top facing downward near the front. I have a PTC heater in between. Temp in pics is not accurate since I had door open for a bit. May add a second heater on the bottom for more even heat exchange. If I do that, do I need to add another fan, and if so, where would be best?

Still need to add a humidity pan and such - any suggestions for a decent either diy or drawrler type thing to use to hold eggs? I will manually turn if necessary as I am not sure honestly how to do a diy turner, etc.

Pics below for reference of what I've done so far. Thanks so much!

20230205_150743.jpg
20230205_150751.jpg
20230205_150810.jpg

Last edited:
How did your tests go? Holding temps? Even temps throughout?
Did you add vent holes yet?

I have two DIY incubators. One being a hatcher in a 2.3cft mini fridge, and a 3.3cft incubator. I flip the mini fridge upside down to have the hump at the top gives for more room for egg trays or baskets. I made an air chamber on my incubator and hatchers. Also i drilled a quarter sized hole at the bottom left side towards the back for a vent hole, and another same size hole at the top. I typically found myself taping over the holes halfway or using filter floss to "plug" the holes but still allows airflow. You should remove the condenser from the back of your mini fridge if you haven't already. I will try to get some pictures of my diys but here is one of my old ones.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom