Long term storage

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
I am working on long term storage for rice, flour etc. My question is, after it's been in the freezer to kill bugs how long do I wait to put it in a long term storage container? The rice comes in a plastic bag.. its a very large plastic bag and I want to vacuum seal in smaller bags but after removing from freezer I noticed some condensation starting on the outside of bag. I'm concerned it will make my rice wet on the inside as well so want to be sure it is dry before vacuum sealing

Moisture in the outside air is condensing at the thermal break (the place where there is a rapid temp change) - the outside of the plastic bag of frozen rice. Any moisture inside the bag will remain frozen for a short period - and the trace amounts at the surface in contact with the bag won't condense, because the air in the bag is able to absorb more moisture than it currently holds. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold.

Best bet, if storing in smaller packages from bulk, is to transfer from bulk to final packaging first, in a conditioned space (air conditioners, as part of the process of cooling, also dehumidify), then freeze. If the packaging is good quality and air tight, it is also moisture tight. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom