Looking for hens

pscbadvr

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
Merritt Island, FL
Hi All,

I am in Merritt Island Florida and I am looking to add to my existing flock. Not many places actually have hens in stock just baby chicks and I was wondering If anyone on this site is local and would know where else I can go. The farm & feed stores are out and so are a lot of the breeder farms are just down to eggs and so not sure what other options are out there.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Hi All,

I am in Merritt Island Florida and I am looking to add to my existing flock. Not many places actually have hens in stock just baby chicks and I was wondering If anyone on this site is local and would know where else I can go. The farm & feed stores are out and so are a lot of the breeder farms are just down to eggs and so not sure what other options are out there.

Thanks,

Stephanie
I used to live in Flordia sense i was born there. It’s definitely hard to find animals that can tolerate Flordia heat or are in the area.
I wish you the best of luck! Like CKFarm suggested, Craigslist could be a good option. Maybe try posting on the Flordia state thread? I believe it’s somewhat inactive but you may get a few responses.

You're some distance from me (Ocala), but I will have point of lay and older hens available in the next few months. I have month-old chicks available now.

There is a group on FB called "Florida Chicken Swap" where you could ask around, but everyone seems obsessed with Silkies, lol.

How's your coop? I find I can keep a lot of breeds here as long as it's well-ventilated and shady.

You're some distance from me (Ocala), but I will have point of lay and older hens available in the next few months. I have month-old chicks available now.

There is a group on FB called "Florida Chicken Swap" where you could ask around, but everyone seems obsessed with Silkies, lol.

How's your coop? I find I can keep a lot of breeds here as long as it's well-ventilated and shady.
I have an aunt in Summerfield. Thank you for the information about FB. I am on FB but don't go on much. I will definitely check out the page. I have only had my ladies for a year or so. I have a 6x6x12 walk in pen for them with a roofed over hen house/nesting area (4x4) raised 2 ft off the ground. To make sure there plenty of airflow and I didn't think a 4 x 4 pen was enough space ( even if I only had 4) Last summer, it was 100 in the sunny area but below the roofed area and in hen house it was 20 degrees cooler. I put a thermometer inside the house to make sure they would be comfortable. I am not interested in the fancy ones. I found 4 babies of different breeds and I picked them up yesterday. I really wanted an Olive egger but no one had any. The ones I picked up are between 6 and 8 weeks. So they are in the pen but in a smaller pen to help the older ones (RI Reds) adjust to them.

Thanks again for responding and the info. It is much appreciated.

Stephanie

Hey there,

I wanted to let you know that I found the FB page you mentioned and that there were several more. I was quite surprised but just wanted to say thanks again!

I am not too far from Ocala. I am looking for older hens for eggs. Are they laying still?

I am not too far from Ocala. I am looking for older hens for eggs. Are they laying still?

Hi! Yes, they're laying more now that it's Spring :D

I have available:
1 year old Leghorn laying daily
1 year old Olive Egger laying daily

2, 2+ year old Isabel Ameraucana hens laying nice blue eggs 3-4 each a week
and a Black Mottled Ameraucana Roo
The Ameraucanas I was going to offer as a trio
Pictures available if you're interested. $30 each.

Back
Top Bottom