Mite eggs???

Fbell676

Hatching
Apr 1, 2024
Hi!

I adopted a chicken, and unfortunately saw saw mites. Tried DE and permithin, but she still has a poppy butt and mite eggs, though I haven’t seen mites. She has been quarantined for many weeks, and I just want her to be back with the flock. I finally got elector psp. I drenched everything two weeks ago and again this past weekend. Her butt is still covered and she has so many eggs on the shaft. How long does it take for the feathers to clean up around her butt and do I assume the eggs are dead or will they fall off? I don’t want to spread it to everyone else, but I also don’t know how long they stick to the chicken. Thanks!

Permethrin will not kill the eggs. You will have to treat her once with permethrin then again in 10 days to completely rid her of the mites. You have to do the second (and sometimes a third in bad infestations) treatment to kill the newly hatched mites before they can start laying eggs themselves to continue the cycle.

You also need to completely clean out the coop and bag and dispose of all the bedding or burn it, spray down the coop with permethrin paying particular attentions to crevices formed where wood meets wood then re-bed with fresh bedding.

This coop cleaning needs to be repeated in 10 days to get any eggs that were left behind after the first cleaning.

Thank you. When I first treated with Permethrin I alternated with DE, which isn't what I was supposed to do. I have since cleaned out the coop and burned the bedding, etc. Do you have a schedule for Elector PSP? It says to wait 14 days, but I'm unsure if that's what everyone else is doing. My main concern is trying to figure out if the eggs are dead. Elector is supposed to even kill the eggs, but I don't have experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom