Muscovy not sitting on eggs

Imndixie

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2024
My stray Muscovy has been laying for 15 days in my barn. This is her 2nd time laying. She's still at the pond but has not greeted me at the barn in 2 days. Will she abandon eggs? I want to do the right thing but I'm a complete novice to ducks or chickens.

Something may have scared her off. Nothing you can do except let nature take it course. It's very unusual for a Muscovy to just up and abandon her eggs so I suspect something spooked her.

:welcome

Will she come back or should I get an incubator? The eggs are toasty warm & not been bothered.

If they are toasty warm then she must be sitting on them or something is? If she hasn't been in the barn in 2 days the eggs should be cold to the touch or at least not warm and toasty lol
If you decide to incubate then they will be your responsibility she will not accept them and they won't be able to be released until full size they will imprint on you and you'll be the one who has to feed and care for them. Eventually you could release them to the pond but they will have to be close to full size or they will not live long.

Her 1st batch she layed for 15 days then started sitting on them all day. Just assumed she should be finished laying! Maybe not?

Some will lay as many as 20 so she may not be ready to brood yet. Keep and eye out they can be sneaky and don't want to draw attention to herself or her nest.

Thank you soo much! I will keep an eye on her. Since it's getting lighter earlier in the morning I will adjust my feeding schedule! I've become attached to her as she comes out of the pond when she sees me coming to feed her! I want to do the right thing for her and her babies.

Back
Top Bottom