My duck won’t drink after being attacked. How can I help him

TequellaC

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I posted recently about my two ducks getting attacked by an opossum. His name is Jack and he is a 6wk old Pekin.
He has several wounds, including his bill. He isn’t drinking hardly at all when I give him a bath and let him play in the water and relax he will drink a little bit, but that’s it. He got attacked the night before last.
I’ve started him on an anabiotic. I’m cleaning his wings trying to show him attention but he witnessed our other girl duck get killed traumatically, and of course him getting to attacked. So I don’t know if it’s depression or what.
Does anyone have any sort of suggestions?
I have the regular waterer that he is used to drinking out of in there with regular water and I thought maybe he would like a deeper water bowl and I fixed him some electrolyte and sugar water and he’s not drink yet either out of the bowl
Pictures show his left side is swollen. And how his bill is tore up.
Again any help is appreciated, i really want my boy to pull through

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2067.jpeg
    IMG_2067.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 8
You may have to give him some of his water through a syringe. Has he been eating? You could try floating some of his favorite treats on top of the water to entice him to drink. And I'm very sorry about what happened! :(

You may have to give him some of his water through a syringe. Has he been eating? You could try floating some of his favorite treats on top of the water to entice him to drink. And I'm very sorry about what happened! :(
A syringe makes me so nervous because I’m worried I will make him aspirate but I may try a little bit and see if he will take it. That’s how I’m giving his abx. But it’s only 0.5 ml.
He ate maybe a bite or 2 yesterday but it wasn’t much at all. I boiled eggs and he usually goes crazy of them and he wouldn’t even attempt to eat them.

A syringe makes me so nervous because I’m worried I will make him aspirate but I may try a little bit and see if he will take it. That’s how I’m giving his abx. But it’s only 0.5 ml.
He ate maybe a bite or 2 yesterday but it wasn’t much at all. I boiled eggs and he usually goes crazy of them and he wouldn’t even attempt to eat them.
Maybe just try giving him a drop or 2 every time you put it in his mouth. If you do end up trying it I would put as much protein and nutrients into his water as what I could. I've recommended this 3 times in the past couple of days and I'm about to make it 4. Silver Shield is an awsome infection killer and it builds up the immune system.
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-rescue-gel-24-ppm/
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-w-aqua-sol-20-ppm/

The gel would be good for spreading on his wounds, but if you don't want to buy both you can also use the liquid for his wounds as well as giving him a teaspoon in his water. They are both definitely more expensive than anything you would find at a farm store, but they're also going to help more than anything you're going to find at a farm store

I posted recently about my two ducks getting attacked by an opossum. His name is Jack and he is a 6wk old Pekin.
He has several wounds, including his bill. He isn’t drinking hardly at all when I give him a bath and let him play in the water and relax he will drink a little bit, but that’s it. He got attacked the night before last.
I’ve started him on an anabiotic. I’m cleaning his wings trying to show him attention but he witnessed our other girl duck get killed traumatically, and of course him getting to attacked. So I don’t know if it’s depression or what.
Does anyone have any sort of suggestions?
I have the regular waterer that he is used to drinking out of in there with regular water and I thought maybe he would like a deeper water bowl and I fixed him some electrolyte and sugar water and he’s not drink yet either out of the bowl
Pictures show his left side is swollen. And how his bill is tore up.
Again any help is appreciated, i really want my boy to pull through
I am so sorry this happened! My rooster got attacked recently and I’m worried he will go through the same process. However, even though these animals have a much shorter memory they still need time to grieve. I would say to take care of him like he’s in a nursing home- make sure he gets feed and water, clean his wounds and add neosporin, and take him outside. It sounds like you’ve done a great job taking care of him and I think he just needs time. Again I’m so sorry this happened to you and I pray he gets better!

So sorry you are having to go through this and I pray that Jack has made it. I just now saw your post for some reason as I seem to get most of mine later than when they first happen. You and Jack are both in my prayers. So sorry for your loss of your female. I lost a dog years back from one biting his foot and it getting infected before I realized what had happened. Good luck with Jack.

Back
Top Bottom