My sweet Taffy is not well!!!

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
OMG! OMG! Okay...calm down. Taffy is a buff orp pullet, 6 months old. This afternoon I noticed she wasn't acting right. She hangs away from the 4 others, eyes shut, head down. They've been under the deck (their pen) all day until I let them out about 4. Don't know if she was this way earlier but she was fine yesterday. She layed an egg today so she's not eggbound, right? I had a hen, last year, that acted the same way and then, about an hour after I first noticed, she layed a soft shelled egg right there on the grass, standing up. Taffy is acting identical but she layed an egg (hard shelled) earlier today. I don't think there's anything she could have gotten into poisonous, I don't think. There has been no attack and there are no other symptoms like coughing, runny eyes or nose, etc. I tried to catch her to get a better look but she got away and I don't want to stress her so I'm going to get her on the roost tonight to check for mites, etc. I suppose she could have worms as well but the other 4 act fine! Any ideas? I love her so much; I don't want her to die!!!!!!

Ellen

Poor Taffy. Do you know if she laid an egg yesterday? I'm not an expert, but she could maybe have a soft shelled egg in her.
It's a good idea to check her over this evening, see if she feels tight under her vent area.
I don't know what else to tell ya but maybe you can seperate her in the morning to monitor her & see what her poops look like if ya can.
Maybe someone else can offer some more advice. I hope she gets to feeling better.
smile.png

Miriam

Thanks, Miriam! I checked her this evening. No mites anywhere. I once got a silkie who kept her eyes closed and it turned out she had mites crawling on her eye lids. Poor thing came to me with lots of health issues but bounced back after some TLC. Anyway, I saw no mites, her breast has lots of meat, her crop felt normal and I couldn't hear any wheezing or rattles. If she's like this in the a.m., I think I'm heading for the vet. I hate it when you don't know why they feel so crummy. I have no idea what to treat!!!! Forgot to mention, her poops are normal AND runny...sometimes one, then the other. She pooped on me while I was holding her so I got a "birds eye view" to see there was no blood or worms in it!

Ellen

Last edited:
I hope she feels better today.That's wonderful you have a vet that will see chickens.
It's frustrating isn't it.. sure wish chickens could talk.
Sending good thoughts to you & Taffy
smile.png

Miriam

Thanks so much Miriam! She does seem to be back to her old self this morning, thank God. I'm going to let them out to free range now and watch her. Hopefully, she just had an upset stomach or something. LOL Hope to see you in chat tonight! I'm excited!

Ellen

Back
Top Bottom