New & asking help & advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwest_NC_Chicken_Man

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Elkin, NC
First of all my name is MJ. I live in beautiful northwestern NC in a little town called Elkin. In the spring I am going to start raising chickens. I will tell you my plans and thoughts and I would like to here yalls thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. Thank you so very much and God Bless!

1- I am going to build a 4’ x 8’ chicken coop with a 20’ x 8’ run. It is going to be something like this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8449

Thanks “Baker’s Dozen” and all the others that have posted information and pictures of there coops. I got some good ideas.

2- I am going to get Oprington Buff Chickens. I love them and my wife does too. I picked out 6 birds and showed them to her and she picked the Orp Buffs. I love my wife!

3- I plan on building a smaller lot for about 5 hens and 1 cock to be in and just leave there eggs alone.

Here is where I need all the help and advice.

I have looked around on the net and found that at Murray McMurray Hatchery I can get 25 Buff Opr Hens for $59.50. Well on Meyer Hatchery I can get 50 Buff Orp Hens for $66.50. People at work say McMurray is real good & I have never heard of Meyer but I seen it here on the forum as a listed hatchery so I guess they are good too.

I say go for the 50 chicks, what do yall think?

Is my coop and run going to be big enough to handle 50 (4x8 coop, 10 nesting boxes, & 20x8 run)?

If 50 is too much, is 25 going to do it? I would love to have 50 but no more than that. Not right now anyways.

If not what do yall suggest?

Is the 5 hens and 1 cock going to be fine left alone to make some chicks?

Any and All suggestions, ideas, and comments are welcome. Once again thanks for the help and God Bless.

Last edited:
I am not a genius with deminsions, but I wouldn't even put 15 in a space that small. If they don't get to free range, they need like 5 square feet per bird, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom