New chickens from a Swap meet

weldergirl88

Hatching
Feb 4, 2023
Hello, thank you in advance for the help. WE are going to the Gilmore swap in VA this Sat. Last time we bought some from there, we must have brought back one or two with Mircle. We only buy chickens that are 6 months or older.... How can I prevent problems with the new chickens?? Can I give them the vaccine when I bring them home? Will it hurt them if they have already been given the vaccine?

I’m not sure what you mean… are you talking about Mareks?
If so, that vaccine must be administered immediately after hatch to be most effective.
Do you know for sure they had Mareks? If so, you should have a closed flock and not allow any other birds in or out of that flock.

I had a poultry vet tell me one time that you can actually vaccinate older birds. But how effective it is dont know because I don’t vaccinate as I now have quail. Getting older birds is always risky so I rarely ever get adults. I have bought older Muscovies because they are hard to source in my area. Other than that I hatch what I need. Remember you’re getting what someone else doesn’t want for reasons you never really know are true. I have a quail girl that is meaner than you know what up for sale. I posted this on my ad so the person knows in advance. But are others as truthful when they want to place their birds? Let’s hope so for your sake if you buy.

Back
Top Bottom