New coyote den in neighborhood

Kayla's Lunch

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland
A few weeks ago I discovered a coyote den with pups. I live in a suburban neighborhood and have never seen coyotes before. It seems the people who live there don't know of don't care that they have coyotes living in their yard. I was told that this coyote family will leave by mid-May. Does anyone know if that is true? I have seen an adult coyote several evenings on my street. We have seen at least 3 pups at the den site. I just wonder if there will now always be coyotes in the neighborhood. I'm thinking of getting a Great Pyr to protect my chickens and dogs. Thanks for any info!

I dont have a answer for youif they will leave, but I did see a video sometime ago. In Calif I think it was. A coyote attack a toddler out walking, have any young childrem might want to watch them to.

If they become a nuisance maybe call the animal control. Just a thought.

If you have an Urban Wildlife Biologist in your area (through city or county channels) I'd consult them. Urban/suburban coyotes are not at all unusual, even in large cities. My understanding is that if they are trapped/killed, the next coyote pack in the area (and they are in the area) will take over the void left by those who've been killed. Large majority of folks don't understand coyote breeding and pack dynamics, hence the kill/replacement cycle. Your best defense is predator-proof containment for your flock, i.e. runs with sturdy frames and hardware cloth and some electrified component on fencing if you free-range.

Back
Top Bottom