new pullet pecked (need first aid suggestions) and bird integration

firellama

Hatching
Apr 25, 2024
I've been trying to get my new 8 to 10 week old pullets (4) introduced to my older 2 hens. After quarantining for 4 weeks in a large refrigerator box, I moved all 4 pullets into a large dog crate inside our coop (2' x 2' x 3'), which in hindsight might be too small for four but it is all I had. They've been in the coop this way for 2 days and everything seemed fine. Today I noticed that the smallest pullet is getting pecked to the point of bleeding at top of her tail. I pulled her out and put her back in the large box I used for quarantine and she seems okay but should I put her back in the coop in another smaller 2' x 18" dog crate so she can see the other pullets and the hens and they can see her? How should I treat her backside? Just looks like some ferocious pecking and some blood. I really need to get these chickens all integrated... I really don't know how I can keep them separated but where they can see each other for 2 weeks... and now I've got an injured pullet separated out.. ugh.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

How big are your coop and run?

Please post some pictures of your set up and also from the injury for better assessment.

You can use pinless peepers on the two adults to prevent them from pecking the pullets and/ or separate the instigator for a week or two to give the pullets time to adjust to their new surroundings and form a new pecking order without the aggressor.

Okay here are some photos- dog crates inside larger coop. I will take photo of injury and post in a moment

Attachments

• IMG_5381.JPG
    IMG_5381.JPG
    1,020 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5382.JPG
    IMG_5382.JPG
    777 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5383.JPG
    IMG_5383.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 5
Very difficult to get a photo of injury. But backside is pecked and tail feathers broken

Attachments

• IMG_5384.JPG
    IMG_5384.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5389.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 5
Do they have a run as well or just the coop?

The crate is too small to house more than one bird, cramped quarters lead to stress and aggression.

Like @rosemarythyme suggested, you could create something like a more spaceous incoop brooder underneath the poop board.

Clean the injured bird carefully until all blood is removed to assess the damage.
If it is minor, you can just spray with BluKote and let her heal.
Spray all the others as well with BluKote in the same area so the injured bird will not stick out and attract attention.
And in addition you could separate the aggressor in with the bigger girls to give the wounded some relief.

Do they have a run as well or just the coop?

The crate is too small to house more than one bird, cramped quarters lead to stress and aggression.

Like @rosemarythyme suggested, you could create something like a more spaceous incoop brooder underneath the poop board.

Clean the injured bird carefully until all blood is removed to assess the damage.
If it is minor, you can just spray with BluKote and let her heal.
Spray all the others as well with BluKote in the same area so the injured bird will not stick out and attract attention.
And in addition you could separate the aggressor in with the bigger girls to give the wounded some relief.
Thank you - I have the wounded pullet separated out and I washed off the wound - its still a bit bloody - I think I will keep her separated a bit longer then bring her back in a couple of days.

Thank you - I have the wounded pullet separated out and I washed off the wound - its still a bit bloody - I think I will keep her separated a bit longer then bring her back in a couple of days.
Best to keep her in view of the others, they're already at the age that pecking order may become an issue if you remove her completely and then attempt to add her back.

Back
Top Bottom