Newbie with a Frizzle question

gauthierpeeps

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Draneville, Georgia
Hello,
I have 3 older girls coming close to 4 months old, outside in coop. I have 2 Ameraucanas just a month old in a crate in the garage. I got a Frizzle today that looks to be under 2 weeks old. My question is: when can I try to get her and the other younger chicks together. Do I keep them separate and slowly introduce them to her? I don't want anything to happen to any of my girls so I want to do what is right. I appreciate all the help I can get. I have never had chickens before, our kids have flown the coop and now we have 6 girls to keep us busy. Thanks in advance!
GG
smile.png

Congrats on your new chickies! I just LVOE my Frizzles.
The biggest concern will be contamination. You will want to quarantine the new chicks for at least a month. Just to assure there are no mites/lice..or any diseases the new ones might bring in. After about a month...put the newbies in a small cage, inside the coop/run. This way they can see each other, and "talk" without anyone getting hurt. This should take about a week or 2. When you do put them together, expect some pecking. Just for everyone to get to know " the pecking order" This should not take more than a few days. Just make sure the newbies have a place to get away from the older hens...say a small shelf they can get under and away from the older ones. Everything should be ok...once pecking order is figured out.

Right now she (the frizzle) is in a smaller dog crate above the two Ameraucanas, that are just a month old. They can't see each other but can hear each other. I want to make sure these younger 3 can become a group and then let them into the coop outside with the 3 girls that are almost 3 months old. I couldn't pass her up she was too diferent and beautiful at the same time. So she came home with me. Hitching a ride on my lap and shoulder the whole hour trip home from the feed store.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom