Newby at day 10 - Hatch-Along

Penny Hen

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Goodlettsville, TN
This is my first hatch with anything and it is a homemade incubator. We have had cold nights so I have had temp swings between 95 and 104. I have just taken to staying up all night and sleeping during the part of the day that the temps are more stable. I am definitely replacing the water heater thermostat after this. I will get one of the wafer thermostats. Or better yet I will spend the 82 dollars at Coops and More and get a Little Giant with the egg turner. No body else seems to have an auto egg turner included for under 100 dollars.

I have candled my eggs and I can see air pockets in some of them. The blue ones are too dense to see anything. I don't think my little LED flashlight it powerful enough. I couldn't find the rooster spots when they first came. Some seem to be getting denser so I hope that means they are growing not that I cooked them.

When I first joined I wondered about the Hatchalongs but now I understand. If you don't have someone to talk to during the waiting period you will go raving mad! And you don't dare run your family through it because they already think you are Barking (to borrow one of my favorite Brit expressions)! When I showed my mom (who had been a farm girl and hatched out her flock of geese in the old woodstove's food warmer hutch) my eggs before putting them in the incubator, we were cooing over the lovely colors and shapes of the eggs and my husband was looking like he thought we were nuts! He just doesn't get it and I don't know if I can explain it. Eggs make me happy. Little chicks make me happy.

Do any of you have similar situation with those who just don't get your attraction to these birds?

well not sure if I have similar situation as far as family goes, don't think my soon to be wife understands the whole thing but I do enjoy it now that I'm retired. Gives me something to do and I also get to sell the eggs I don't use myself. I have two pipping right now. did not see the other one pipping until I looked closer at the bator. don't know which one will completly hatch first. Hope they both come out at the same time now. LoL If I had kids I would say this is like being in the waiting room, waiting for the wife to have our kid. but I think this might be worse than that. LoL

Oh sorry btw I'm at day 20 well guess you could say day 21 now. I have a little giant bator with egg turner. holds 42 chicken eggs. lucky I read alittle before I started this endevor. did not read that you should take the turner out at day 18 I took mine out yesterday at day 19 1/2. hopeing for a good hatch and bitting my nails and pulling out my hair right now. I think I will go to bed and just wait till morning. Not sure if I can sleep tho. LoL

Back
Top Bottom