Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - "WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Um, you’ve accomplished what all of BYC has hoped for for years....you’ve left Blooie without a thing to say - totally speechless!! Thank you so much for the kind words and the generous gifting of your prize! I Just don’t know what else to say..... :hugs

(In reality I’m a grumpy old lady who sits on my porch with a bottle of cheap whiskey and a shotgun across my lap, yelling at little kids to get away from my property!) :lau
Awwww bless you! :lau:lau:lau:lau i do love to accomplish the 'impossible' :lau:lau Ahhhhh now see that sounds like the perfect grumpy old lady life :oops::lau:lau. you are very, very welcome - I hope you really enjoy it and i would like vicarious living of the soap please - what gorgeous one you choose and pics when you get it! :D
I did the same. The postage is silly money.
I know such a shame - and sadly not enough 'Europeans' to run comps I'm guessing (although would gladly learn chicken juggling to win one of your lamps :lau:lau).

Oh boy....hobbies! Lost them with having 2 kids back to back!

1st Photography. Not very good at it but i still love it for some reason!
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
FB_IMG_1544149776229.jpg
FB_IMG_1544149739029.jpg
FB_IMG_1544149717042.jpg
FB_IMG_1544149705660.jpg
FB_IMG_1544149711216.jpg

2nd Hobby:
GARDENING!! I love plants. All types. I love bringing things up from seed or buying the pnes that are in rough shape and bring them to their full, beautiful healthy plants they are.
20181030_141547.jpg

FB_IMG_1544150464921.jpg

3rd: Hunting
Being able to feed my family the freshest and tastiest meat you can have, is rewarding. Being able to take care of ourselves and not have to rely of people to feed our family. And est the stuff they put into the meat. Not to mention the way theu treat those animals before they butchered them is heartbreaking.
20180616_220508.jpg

FB_IMG_1544150552303.jpg

Oh and how could i EVER forget these fluff Butts!
20181206_204535.jpg

Oh boy....hobbies! Lost them with having 2 kids back to back!

1st Photography. Not very good at it but i still love it for some reason!
View attachment 1609748 View attachment 1609750 View attachment 1609753 View attachment 1609754 View attachment 1609755 View attachment 1609756 View attachment 1609757
2nd Hobby:
GARDENING!! I love plants. All types. I love bringing things up from seed or buying the pnes that are in rough shape and bring them to their full, beautiful healthy plants they are.
View attachment 1609759
View attachment 1609769
3rd: Hunting
Being able to feed my family the freshest and tastiest meat you can have, is rewarding. Being able to take care of ourselves and not have to rely of people to feed our family. And est the stuff they put into the meat. Not to mention the way theu treat those animals before they butchered them is heartbreaking.
View attachment 1609763
View attachment 1609771
Oh and how could i EVER forget these fluff Butts!
View attachment 1609775
Beautiful photos!

I have a number of other hobbies, Aikido and music held my interest for many years. Then there is this.
I did a second degree in my thirties through The Open University and became very interested in affordable environmentally friendly housing, particularly for single people.
As society changes, in the UK at least, there are more people choosing to live outside the nuclear family model that has dominated housing design since the sixties. Also given the increase in the post retirement population, many of whome find the conventional two story, three bedroom house with a postage stamp garden unmanageable and unfordable, I became interested in alternative dwelling design and I produced a few designs more as a hobby than anything else which make better use of the available land and have less environmental impact.
A few of these designs were built in the UK with some modifications.
The price of land in the UK and the inflexibility of the building regulations meant I was unable to build one of these designs for myself.

Here in Catalonia building regulations are somewhat different and I was eventually able to build one of my designs which I now live in.
The basis of all the designs are the earth bermed construction (three walls and the roof covered in earth)
While such designs are slightly more common now, they still tend to be high tech and more expensive than conventional builds. The design I live in is low tech (gravity fed water, partial solar heat hot water system, wood burning stove and standard electricity supply. You have to pay to go off grid here!:eek:
Some local builders and I built the shell. If I had been a few years younger I might have done this myself. Once the shell was built I did all the woodwork (roof, handbuilt windows, door, and all the interior)
Anyway, I won’t bore you with further details. I thought some might like to see what I built. It would make a great chicken coop.;)

View attachment 1583261

View attachment 1583262

View attachment 1583263

View attachment 1583264

View attachment 1583266

View attachment 1583267

View attachment 1583268

View attachment 1583269 View attachment 1583270

View attachment 1583271

View attachment 1583272

Hi Shad, I love your house! I really like watching conventional houses being built so when I get to see an unconventional one, I’m fascinated! It looks like a lot of thoughtful creativity went into it and given the footprint is quite small, it doesn’t look like it would be too big a chore cleaning up after your chooks each night.

Re chickens on the roof; is that how Fat Bird got her name? ;)

Hi Shad, I love your house! I really like watching conventional houses being built so when I get to see an unconventional one, I’m fascinated! It looks like a lot of thoughtful creativity went into it and given the footprint is quite small, it doesn’t look like it would be too big a chore cleaning up after your chooks each night.

Re chickens on the roof; is that how Fat Bird got her name? ;)
I moan about the cleaning but it's pretty easy with the concrete floor.
Fat bird got named in 2011 so well before I built the house.
But, yes I can hear her when she runs across the roof.:D

Entry #3 - Ceramics

I spent some time on a contract in the middle of the pacific. WHile there I was able to partake in many activities. I spent a lot of time bowling, drinking, painting fantasy & scifi miniatures, learned to sail, and got my PADI open water dive card. But my fondest memories were in the ceramics shop where as a complete novice I taught the instructor a thing or two.

On the island (Johnston Island) we had some old worn plaster molds for slip casting. One set in particular was for a classic set of chessmen. Detail was worn and the greenware needed to be re-sculpted for the most part to add back the fine detail.

Note the use of 'washes' and 'dry brushing', as well as 'outlining', 'stippling', and 'mottling' - surprised the heck outta that art instructor - She said it'd never turn out. I just wish that the board hadn't exploded in the kiln.

I don't have the 'work in progress' shots available at the moment, but here is what I do have (the original set is safely in a box in the basement). I really want to get a kiln.

View attachment 1578518 View attachment 1578519 View attachment 1578520 View attachment 1578521 View attachment 1578522 View attachment 1578523 View attachment 1578524

This was Johnston Island :) View attachment 1578525
These are beautiful! Ok, so you might be the right person to ask. I have over 500 old, unusable ceramic molds I have acquired. They sat out in the weather LONG before I got them. Then, they still sat out, like tormenting hopes and dreams of ONE day. That day will never happen. My kilns that were also weather worn just got taken to scrap. I'm still left with all the molds. I can't lift most of them without any slip, as it is. Here's my question. I'm trying to figure out if I can use these as decorative walls around my Fowl. I have chickens, ducks and geese. Someone mentioned composting, well that's my hens favorite place to be. That would be way too much calcium. Any suggestions, besides my "rock walls" I keep thinking about? Is ceramic molds safe for the Fowl? I understand it will break down over time. What about the garden? I have so many questions and no answers. Just a bunch of unusable molds taking up precious realty and and just sitting there.

I'd like to share my hobby: pottery.

I started working with clay when I lived in the desert. I have fond memories of sweat dripping down my nose, temperature hovering near 110, while throwing pots in the cool water and clay. I'm in the PNW now where I need to use hot water when throwing in winter! I have a workshop at home with kiln, etc. and try to fit in an hour of work every day, but life gets in the way too often, so months go by that I don't make anything. This year I've been making some holiday things, ornaments, gnomes, bells. Pictures of a few follow:

Two gnomes, greenware with underglaze. Still need bisque firing, glazing and final firing.

x2gnomes_2740.jpg

Another gnome.

xgnome1_2744.jpg

I love making boxes. This is a special slab technique that emphasizes texture.

xbox_2745.jpg

And a pair of porcelain slab built boxes.

x2boxes_2743.jpg

These are two fence post toppers...

xduck.jpg xsheep.jpg

I'd like to share my hobby: pottery.

I started working with clay when I lived in the desert. I have fond memories of sweat dripping down my nose, temperature hovering near 110, while throwing pots in the cool water and clay. I'm in the PNW now where I need to use hot water when throwing in winter! I have a workshop at home with kiln, etc. and try to fit in an hour of work every day, but life gets in the way too often, so months go by that I don't make anything. This year I've been making some holiday things, ornaments, gnomes, bells. Pictures of a few follow:

Two gnomes, greenware with underglaze. Still need bisque firing, glazing and final firing.

View attachment 3692065

Another gnome.

View attachment 3692066

I love making boxes. This is a special slab technique that emphasizes texture.

View attachment 3692069

And a pair of porcelain slab built boxes.

View attachment 3692071

These are two fence post toppers...

View attachment 3692075View attachment 3692076
This contest was in 2018. I recommend you enter the current contest.

Official BYC Mini-Contest Series—What's Your Hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom