Oklahome egg sales law?

I too would like this info. I live on the Arkansas/Oklahoma line, but live in Oklahoma officially. I don't find the Oklahoma department of Ag very helpful at all. It just loops me around, and seems to cater more to mass producers and not a backyard flock!!!!!!! Guess Im gonna have to make the time to call them personally.

Oklahoma law allows:

" Oklahoma producers of eggs selling ungraded eggs from their own flock production are exempt from this subarticle. Nothing in this subarticle shall prohibit the sale of eggs produced on the farm and sold direct to the consumer. Eggs sold under this section shall be produced by hens maintained on the farm from which the eggs are sold." Title 2, Chapter 1, Article 10.A of the Oklahoma State Statutes. So, a person can legally sell eggs raised on their own farm DIRECTLY to the consumer.

The sub-article referred to in the above quote is sub-article 10-77 "acts constituting violations of sub-article" which refers to licensed, commercial egg producers in the state of Oklahoma who sell to retail outlets like grocery stores. Since a person sells directly to the consumer when running a booth at a farmers market, I believe the "sold direct to the consumer" standard is met. If the person was selling to the farmers market who then sold to the public, the person would have to meet the requirements of sub-article 10-77.

From what I've found, there is nothing in Oklahoma State Statute that would require all the licenses etc... to sell at a farmers market. Those requirements appear to be requirements from the operators of the farmers market, not State Statute.

I wanted to add something here. I had difficulty with finding what Titanpaul had quoted using "Title 2, Chapter 1, Article 10.A"

But this is what I did find.

I first "bing"ed Oklahoma Statutes which brought up this link:

http://www.oklegislature.gov/osStatuesTitle.html

I then downloaded Title 2 on Agriculture and upon looking through the table of contents (I guess you'd call it that) I found this mention on page 464

"2-10-78. Sale of eggs produced on farm directly to consumer not prohibited.

A. Oklahoma producers of eggs selling ungraded eggs from their own flock production are exempt from this subarticle. Nothing in this subarticle shall prohibit the sale of eggs produced on the farm and sold direct to the consumer. Eggs sold under this section shall be produced by hens maintained on the farm from which the eggs are sold.

B. A producer may sell graded eggs if in compliance with this subarticle.
Added by Laws 1961, p. 5, § 2. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 243, § 48, emerg. eff. May 24, 2000. Renumbered from § 5-25.1 of this title by Laws 2000, c. 243, § 126, emerg. eff. May 24, 2000."

Just wanted to share.

I have a friend near Tulsa that wants to sell fresh eggs at a farmers market. He is being told he has to get a food handlers permit, a chicken handlers permit, a state issued label, new cartons (not misprints). Does anyone know how he can sell fresh eggs at a farmers market without all the red tape?

I went to ask.com and ask about okla egg laws. I got the ag dept and the laws. It comes down to this. If I have a sign and sell eggs off my property or to other people I do not need a license or certif. If I sell to farmers market or other retail I need a license and certif. I hope that helps. I have 22 chickens so I have alot of eggs. There are people in our small town that work hard but have low paying jobs. I give eggs to anyone who needs or wants them such as the ladies at the local grocery store or the carhop at Sonic, I know by doing this I am helping hard working people. I would never make much money by selling the eggs.

Oklahoma law allows:

" Oklahoma producers of eggs selling ungraded eggs from their own flock production are exempt from this subarticle. Nothing in this subarticle shall prohibit the sale of eggs produced on the farm and sold direct to the consumer. Eggs sold under this section shall be produced by hens maintained on the farm from which the eggs are sold." Title 2, Chapter 1, Article 10.A of the Oklahoma State Statutes. So, a person can legally sell eggs raised on their own farm DIRECTLY to the consumer.

The sub-article referred to in the above quote is sub-article 10-77 "acts constituting violations of sub-article" which refers to licensed, commercial egg producers in the state of Oklahoma who sell to retail outlets like grocery stores. Since a person sells directly to the consumer when running a booth at a farmers market, I believe the "sold direct to the consumer" standard is met. If the person was selling to the farmers market who then sold to the public, the person would have to meet the requirements of sub-article 10-77.

From what I've found, there is nothing in Oklahoma State Statute that would require all the licenses etc... to sell at a farmers market. Those requirements appear to be requirements from the operators of the farmers market, not State Statute.
I think if you sell off farm (farmers market) You need some permits. I sell my eggs ON farm people come here to buy them. I read it like this,,,

Eggs sold under this section shall be produced by hens maintained on the farm from which the eggs are sold.

Back
Top Bottom