Old Lonely Chicken

moonstones

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Unfortunate circumstances have left our little flock with only one old chook. Her last friend left use just over a month ago. I’m sure she is lonely as she has never been a friendly or affectionate hen but I recent noticed her seek out my company more when I’m in the garden and even come and watch me through the window while I work at home.
She is an Astralorp chicken that we were gifted from a “friend” about 5 years ago. In the 5 years we have had her we only got about 20 eggs at most, and more often than not they were soft and squashed. We have no idea how old she actually is and feel this “friend” was just trying to pass off a non laying chook. Apart from some bad scaly legs which I am trying to treat she seems in good health.
Where I live (Australia, Canberra) it is just the start of Autumn and I am looking for advice on whether it would be better to wait for spring to add to the flock, I am looking to add at least another 4. Temperature will get down to around 1 to -10°C overnight. I am worried it may get too cold for pullets and they will stop laying in winter, but also worried the old hen will get cold on her own. Should I get maybe one or two now to keep her company and the rest in spring. I’m also not sure if I should wait until we have fixed her scaly legs. Sure I’m overthinking it but would love some advice.

It’s sad for your girl, that she lost her flock mate. A new friend is definitely a good idea for her…. and having others to snuggle with during colder nights. If you can add to your flock now, your lone hen will appreciate it. Good wishes!

I wouldn't wait on adding friends for her. You'll want to quarantine the new birds foe a few weeks anyway to ensure they don't have pests or are ill in some way so as it is your girl will still be alone for a while.
Good luck finding her some friends ❤️

Older pullets should be able to handle the colder temps just fine. They probably won't start laying (unless they were already at POL) until after days start lengthening.

Your hen should be fine temperature wise even without additional birds, so while it would be better for her socially to have new birds with her sooner, if that really doesn't work out for you then waiting until spring is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom