orphaned duckling -Please help

johnnyjean02

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
Today I recieved an orphaned duckling that my sister found wondering down the middle of the street alone. It can't be more than a few days old. I don't really know, I've never had ducks. She brought it to me to care for until it can be on it's own. I did a little preliminary research and put it in a rubbermaid tub with some pine shavings and a shallow dish of water. I also put some oats soaked in water sprinkled with some chopped spinach leaves. I have a heat lamp there as well with an area cooler in case the little guy gets too warm. All he (I'm calling it a he) does is try to get out. He throws himself at the side over and over again. He hasn't had anything to drink or eat, though he has landed in the water and the food several times. It's so full of bedding I pulled it out. I've had him for about 4 hours now and he hasn't pooped or peed at all that I can tell. I gave him a little sugar water in a syringe because I'm nervous he'll die sometime during the night from dehydration. He seemed totally uninterested in it. I've had several chicks before, but he's nothing like them. Any suggestions would be helpful

UPDATE: It turns out my baby duck is in fact a baby canadian goose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom