Pennsylvania Egg Layers?

Ambersquared

Chirping
Sep 7, 2022
Delaware County, Pennsylvania, USA
For those in Pennsylvania US or in surrounding areas, when did your chickens start laying after the shorter daylight days?
First time momma here with ladies that will be old enough in about another month or so (will be 5-6 months old) and I’m curious around when they start getting enough sunlight around here to start laying 🤗

Last edited:
Most of my April and June pullets are laying after a brief slow down from Nov-Dec. I ave 5 eggs a day from 8 active layers now with three being new layers over the last 2 wks.

Breed, age, daylight hrs make up the bulk of time to laying first egg. what breed and how old are your pullets?
I have Bielefelders and Niederrhieners which have a wide range until first egg from 6-8 months old: The Niederrhieners laid by 6 months; Bielefelders were hit or miss at 6 months, consistent by 8 months.
Only my free loading EE (named Karen the Karen) has not laid since mid- October.

Most of my April and June pullets are laying after a brief slow down from Nov-Dec. I ave 5 eggs a day from 8 active layers now with three being new layers over the last 2 wks.

Breed, age, daylight hrs make up the bulk of time to laying first egg. what breed and how old are your pullets?
I have Bielefelders and Niederrhieners which have a wide range until first egg from 6-8 months old: The Niederrhieners laid by 6 months; Bielefelders were hit or miss at 6 months, consistent by 8 months.
Only my free loading EE (named Karen the Karen) has not laid since mid- October.
Thank you for this information! I have Plymouth barred rock, black australorp, olive egger and buff Orpington! They’ll be 6 months in February 🤗

It worked!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
This is a good article on how to examine a pullet who may be at point of lay (POL)
Hope I linked it right :fl
It worked! Thank you so much! This is awesome information.
I was curious (due daylight and location) if we shouldn’t really expect much until April but since they’re first time layers I have a feeling it will be such a toss up in terms of when. After a few years I’m sure we’ll get to know our gals laying routine and better predict when they pick back up again
I’m so excited for those first eggs 🤗

Back
Top Bottom