Pool ramp ideas

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Hey all,
As I am continually looking to improve my duckies pen, pool and overall living conditions I'd like to add a ramp to their pool. I use kiddie pools for them, they get a small winter pool and a larger "summer" pool after risk of freezing is over.
Looking for pictures and suggestions on what I can buy or build. Some of my duckies seem to struggle to get out of the pool (I think they forget they have wings). Since they aren't getting any younger I'd like to help them out In this regard. Pics are appreciated but would love any suggestions you have. I'm looking for ideas that leas to east pool cleaning as we give fresh water daily.

Sorry I don't have better pictures. This ramp worked well while we had ducks. I will say that the sticky back stair thread gripper tape was zero match for them. Hey pulled it off by the end of the first week. I recommend using rubber mat maybe like an entryway mat and screw it down.

As for exiting the pool mine had stacked blocks making a stair case of sorts. This stock tank had a call valve and drain pipe for cleaning. Yes I would have done a few things differently. If you want more info I am willing to share whatever I can.

IMG_20200614_195444.jpg

Sorry I don't have better pictures. This ramp worked well while we had ducks. I will say that the sticky back stair thread gripper tape was zero match for them. Hey pulled it off by the end of the first week. I recommend using rubber mat maybe like an entryway mat and screw it down.

As for exiting the pool mine had stacked blocks making a stair case of sorts. This stock tank had a call valve and drain pipe for cleaning. Yes I would have done a few things differently. If you want more info I am willing to share whatever I can.

View attachment 3478692
I like your "deck" for them. I plan to build something similar. They don't have a problem getting in but it's getting out that's hard. I'm trying to avoid the bricks in the pool. Although easy, cheap, and relatively low maintenance I want something I can pull out with the water still in the pool if needed if that makes sense.

For your deck, did you just trace the tub out and cut it out? I'm assuming you stained the wood to keep it from rotting with all the splashing the duckies do? I love the ramp up to the deck!

following this lol, i just got my ducks a big pool and need ramp ideas
I have used 2x4s and firewood as way for them to get into the pool. Putting bricks or stones helps them out. I just don't want to do the stones anymore as it's a pain pulling them out daily to clean the pool like I do. If you don't do daily cleaning it might not be so bad?

I have used 2x4s and firewood as way for them to get into the pool. Putting bricks or stones helps them out. I just don't want to do the stones anymore as it's a pain pulling them out daily to clean the pool like I do. If you don't do daily cleaning it might not be so bad?

The stock tank was about $80 and having the ball valve meant I didn't have to pull the bricks to clean it. I opened the ball valve and once it was low I could spray off the bricks before refilling. It wasn't PERFECT since it left an inch or two of water in the bottom.
I used porch and floor paint on the wood. It worked well to protect the wood. I used wire on the vertical sides so it could dry under there and not become a smelly bog.

Yes we traced the tank, measured the lip and drew the cut line inside the first line. It took 2 sheets of plywood which made it easier actually.

For an in the pool ramp it would have to hook over the edge and be plastic I think.

Entry is ground level. Ramps took up too much space, so I have a floating dock. Used last year and stayed hard frozen in the pond all winter. Goose and duck approved.

Small, non toxic, pallet
Pool noodle on one end for floatation. Allows the other end to sink when they climb aboard. Had to be replaced after 1 year.
Plastic grid from home improvement lighting dept for traction. (It's on both sides so thay don't get trapped.) Held in place by overlapping nail heads.
Just added the black ramp today. (Car curb ramp.) Last year the babies couldn't get out. Straw bale string tying it to the pallet and pool edge.

Attachments

• 20230423_160952.jpg
    20230423_160952.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 46
Entry is ground level. Ramps took up too much space, so I have a floating dock. Used last year and stayed hard frozen in the pond all winter. Goose and duck approved.

Small, non toxic, pallet
Pool noodle on one end for floatation. Allows the other end to sink when they climb aboard. Had to be replaced after 1 year.
Plastic grid from home improvement lighting dept for traction. (It's on both sides so thay don't get trapped.) Held in place by overlapping nail heads.
Just added the black ramp today. (Car curb ramp.) Last year the babies couldn't get out. Straw bale string tying it to the pallet and pool edge.
Love that!

Back
Top Bottom