Sponsored Post Protecting your chickens from predators in your backyard!

We had a family of raccoons a mom dad and 4 babies that showed up later after i had trapped both parents..... they had killed 3 chickens in one night. I tore down old pin and built a frame one and attached wire on a 90degree bend to keep anything from digging under the pin, and it seems to be working very well. And we still have one raccoon out back that we have not caught.

Last edited:
Critters as I call them, are a part of nature we are forced to deal with. Raccoons have a tenacious appetite! Shoring up your foundation was a smart play. Its a good deterent but wont curb their curosity or determination. They love a challenge to their intelligence. Keep your live traps active and dont let your guard down. It took me 2 plus years to remove one from my attic. Finally realized he was too big for my live trap! Had to put him down. Good luck and well wishes.

Actually, I used a rag soaked with amonia placed in the attic after a good tip from a friend. It kept him out long enough to repair the damage he had done and seal up his entry. And yes, I would have liked to have put him down!

If you pour concrete around the bottom of your fence, it will keep predators from digging under your fence.

We are bothered by coyote and they are very friendly. Even have them come on the front porch of our house. When I work in the garden a coyote may join and watch me for a few minutes. We like to let the older hens out of their pen a few hours a day. One hen loves to go out in the pasture with the cattle and they keep her safe. However. recently this hen went out on her own away from the cattle and a coyote got her. My wife and I walked the pasture and found only a patch of chicken feathers as the coyote may have a den nearby. No longer raise sheep as lost 32 to coyotes.in one year, State of California sent out a crew to get the coyotes and killed 5 so I and neighbor farms were safer..

Today, we have 26 hens and a rooster, all in a pens with 400 sq ft of enclosed fenced yard. Also closed on top to keep buzzards out as they like small chickens. The hens are of two ages, with 6 being 3 years of age, and 20 now 12 weeks old.. They get along well with the older hens who make sure everyone is in the chicken house before dark. A few of the younger hens have learned to roost but most still sleep on the floor. The older hens wanted to sit on eggs but since we added the younger chickens for them to care for, , the old hens keep on laying 3 to 4 eggs a day. We give the eggs each week to members of our church that need eggs, as brown eggs sell for around 7 dollars a dozen in our area. We like to share and a church family bought the 20 pullets as a gift to us last week.

My dogs are my alarm system! they will bark and bark and bark until you go out there and check! My dogs are the best! the have killed a Possum before it could get to our chicken coop! they have scared Raccoons away from the chicken coop a couple nights ago! I'm very thankful for my German Shepherds!

Back
Top Bottom