Quail chick with injured toe

Wandering_r0gue

Songster
Apr 11, 2023
SW Manitoba, Canada
I have one quail chick that looks like it has dried poop stuck to the tip of one toe. I tried to carefully break it off but it is very hard, and seemed to be causing the bird distress. Now, it is walking fine, but it looked like there was some blood underneath it, so I am thinking now it injured its toe somehow and this is actually a scab. It looks like a brownish clump that encapsulates the tip of the toe, but the claw sticks out. Like dried poop.

The question is: should I try to soak it, clean it and treat it, OR, leave it be, let it heal on its own and watch for signs of infection?

If anyone has any insights let me know.

Honestly it all depends on how long the chick is, but I'd say watch and wait. If it gets infected you should clean it. One time, one of my zebra finches got a injury on its toe and it's toe eventually fell off and the finch was no longer seeming uncomfortable after it fell off. Sad, but okay ending. However after it's toe fell off I cleaned it's remaining nub of a toe. I hope that doesn't happen to any of your quail chicks. But just know that's what could happen.

Honestly it all depends on how long the chick is, but I'd say watch and wait. If it gets infected you should clean it. One time, one of my zebra finches got a injury on its toe and it's toe eventually fell off and the finch was no longer seeming uncomfortable after it fell off. Sad, but okay ending. However after it's toe fell off I cleaned it's remaining nub of a toe. I hope that doesn't happen to any of your quail chicks. But just know that's what could happen.
Thanks. We are watching it, trying the Epsom salt soak, and will see what happens. My wife says that some flaked off in the water, so it may just be healing on its own.

Back
Top Bottom