Questions about keeping button quail.

Another thing @Nabiki , how do you house your button quail indoors? Would a 10 gal standard reptile enclosure work? If so, how many pairs could happily live in there during cold months? Thank you.

Buttons should have at least 1 square foot per bird. I find that 50 gallon plastic tubs with sections cut out and covered with hardware cloth work beautifully and are much lighter, and therefore easier to clean than a fish tank. I would think that a 10 gallon tank would be too small for even a single pair of buttons.

I took one of my brooders and cut windows in the sides for more light and air flow to house my buttons.

0311201712.jpg

I took one of my brooders and cut windows in the sides for more light and air flow to house my buttons.

View attachment 3120548
Thank you very much for this info. That is good to know they don't stink as much as Coturnix. I love my Coturnix but half look forward to moving them outdoors due to smell. Of course I do have many indoors right now so that's why it sticks to this extent. Thank you for your time @Nabiki

Thank you very much for this info. That is good to know they don't stink as much as Coturnix. I love my Coturnix but half look forward to moving them outdoors due to smell. Of course I do have many indoors right now so that's why it sticks to this extent. Thank you for your time @Nabiki
Coturnix seem to produce a lot more dust too! I can't wait to kick their feather butts outside. My new place will have space so I won't have to ever keep them inside, thank goodness.

Just my experience so far, but I have buttons, coturnix and gambel's quail in addition to bantam chickens, and the coturnix ARE messier/smellier. Not sure why - maybe because they eat a lot more than the others do. I brooded them indoors and booted them out at 2 weeks and it wasn't a moment too soon!

I keep my buttons outdoors all year around in the desert and they do OK in the heat. It is 90F right now, and they were just putzing when I went to give them water and check on them. They do pant on and off but as long as they have access to shade/dirt/cool water they do OK. I've caught mine standing in their water dishes to cool off too. They do not do well in the cold, and there have been a few points in the winter where I've brought them in for a week or two during a cold snap. I agree, anything below 50F is too cold, even if you have an insulated place for them to hunker down in.

Back
Top Bottom