Questions about Sour Crop

TundraGhost

Chirping
Jul 2, 2021
Hi, it's me again. This is a follow-up from my last thread about my hen acting off. (Link here.) Do let me know if there's a better way to update people! I don't think I can edit the post anymore

Good news and bad news, good is that I tried Miconazole and it really helped. Cleared her up for about 3 weeks. She even gained her weight back in that time. Bad news is the yeast infection couldn't have cleared out completely, because it's back and way worse. I'm waiting for a call back from our farm vet, though they didn't return my call last month so who knows //shrugs

Anyway, I have a few specific questions about sour crop

1. Is it normal for a hen with sour crop to vomit often when leaning their neck down / moving their neck in a certain way? This makes me think there is a LOT of fluid in there. I suppose it's a mix of the water she drinks + the yeast infection.
  2. How concerning is it that she drinks back the fluid that goes up into her mouth? I noticed she makes drinking motions, assuming she threw up in her mouth.
  3. Can the fluid build up from sour crop technically drown a hen?
  4. Some people seem to drain the crop themselves, some people are against this and it's left me confused. On one hand getting the icky fluid out of her crop sounds great, but I understand there is asphyxiation concerns.
  5. Should I feed her Greek Yogurt or Coconut Oil? I've seen a few posts say it helps, others disagree because it can create mucus. Is Coconut Oil only for impacted crop?
  6. Should I be massaging her crop upwards or downwards? Or is massaging the crop only for impacted crop?
  7. Is it possible for impacted crop to feel soft and squishy? Her crop hasn't depleted entirely for at least 2 days. But it does get smaller. Her poops are watery, though she's basically only been drinking electrolyte water and very little food.

If I have any more I'll ask them when they come to me. Right now I'm just trying to get nutrients into her, and still trying Miconazole. She's way less interested in food than last time and spitting up a lot more. Can't even pick her up without it tipping out of her. I'm trying everything I can think of to help my poor girl 😞

I just shared my experience in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop.1620630/

Yes, even my hen seemed having sour crop, I believe she had both impacted crop and sour crop. Miconazole didn't work for me.
I personally did empty my hen's crop when she had water running out of her beak. It is dangerous, but I don't think I can give her epsom salt flushing with her crop that full. I just followed the 2 second rule to only make her throw up for 2 seconds and then give her a break and repeat until her crop half empty. I think epsom salt flush followed by acidified copper sulfate treatments working much better for yeast control. I gave my hen yogurt and don't see any mucus issue. For massaging crop, I just move my hand in circle :p .

Back
Top Bottom