Rabbit made nest and gave birth in flood zone

PeabodyFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2022
We have been raising rabbits in a colony run for about a year now. One of our rabbits is great about giving birth in the nesting box and is a great mama. The other one likes to dig tunnels. Her last litter though was born in the tunnel and had to be rescued from flooding (luckily they were of age to be out of the nest by then anyhow ).
However this time she made her nest and gave birth in a corner where the water drains out of the run so if we get rain (which we very well could with this weather) then the nest will be flooded.
At first we moved the nest into a plastic bin and put the bin right back where the nest was as the bin would keep them dry. However I went to check and she had flipped the bin sideways and pulling new fur for the old nest that didn't have babies anymore. I then moved the nest up to the nesting box she should be using and picked her up and put her with them... only for her to run out and go back to the corner.
I'm not sure what to do. Part of me wants to see if her sister who is a great mother and has her own nest up in the hutch well nurse both. But this litter has 3 gray babies that I really want to survive to see if they are chinchilla colored or slate gray (a rare coloring for our girls as we have only had 2 like this) .

Ideas? I know moving then wasn't the best but we have already lost 1 of her litters to flooding and that was when it was warm out, now it is like 30 degrees or lower.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom