Raspberry jam-like poop?

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I have 4 hens, 1 is 4yo, 1 is 3yo, and 2 are 2yo. I also recently added 3 pullets, 2 months old, from My Pet Chicken. They are separated, but allowed to go in the run while the big girls free range.

One of the 2yo (Barred Rock) seemed pretty lethargic last week, and also lays very thin-shelled or shell-less eggs. She lays perhaps once a week or less, and calcium has never helped her.

Her poops were very green and yellow, so I suspected an infection, given her reproductive issues. I dosed her with amoxycillian, and the next day found bloody poops where she sleeps. Today (the next day), there were more, with more blood. They have a raspberry jam consistency and color (sorry for the analogy!). She has not been eating berries.

I think it may either be worms or coccidiosis, but I'm not sure. Which would you treat for first? Can I dose them for both at the same time? Should I also be dosing the pullets, since they have some access to the same ground as the big girls?

One of the 2yo (Barred Rock) seemed pretty lethargic last week, and also lays very thin-shelled or shell-less eggs. She lays perhaps once a week or less, and calcium has never helped her.
Pushing out shell-less eggs is extremely difficult and the hen will appear sick and lethargic, but will usually perk up after finally getting the egg out.

Did you treat her with calcium 600 citrate +vit D3 and ascorbic acid/vitamin C ?
If not, you could try treating her for 7-10 consecutive days, this will also help her to push out any possible residues of broken eggs that might still remain inside.
Her poops were very green and yellow, so I suspected an infection, given her reproductive issues. I dosed her with amoxycillian, and the next day found bloody poops where she sleeps. Today (the next day), there were more, with more blood. They have a raspberry jam consistency and color
She might have been injured by parts of broken shell, but deworming her sounds like a good idea as it will not harm her and neither will the Corid treatment.

Back
Top Bottom