Reliable heating pads for a long car ride?

Flufferes

Poke
6 Years
Apr 30, 2017
Hood Canal, WA
Hey guys,
I've been on the lookout for chicks for the past 2 weeks. I've called every feed store in my area and none of them have the breeds that i want. This weekend i'm going out of town to see some family and I've been thinking about stopping by one of the Wilco's on the route back, since the location has one of the breeds im looking for. Throughout the 4-hour car ride the weather its supposed to range from the lower to mid 80s, which as far as I'm aware is a too cold for chicks that are a couple days old.
Ive never driven this far with chicks before. What we usually do is crank the heater to 95 for the duration of the ride but my mother isnt really into that idea for a trip this long. I brought up heating pads since i know that's what big hatcheries do when they ship out chicks but im not sure what kind they use. I went on amazon and all i can find are hundred dollar ones & cheaper disposable ones that seem hit or miss when it comes to them actually working.
I'm not looking to invest in something real high quality thats gonna last me forever; as this is kind of a unique one-time situation for me. I just want something that's affordable and going to do its job for its allotted time and be done.
All in all:
Is this an alright idea or should I ditch it altogether and wait til a better opportunity to get chicks arises?
Do you have any recommendations or ideas?

What about using a bottle/bottles filled with hot water and wrapped in a towel as a heat source? I'd call ahead to see whether or not chicks are available prior to preparing for purchase.

I brought up heating pads since i know that's what big hatcheries do when they ship out chicks but im not sure what kind they use.
For most chick orders, hatcheries do NOT use any kind of heat pack. 25 chicks in a certain size box, or 15 chicks in a different size box, make enough body heat to keep themselves warm in most temperatures. They have the number of chicks, and the box sizes, worked out carefully so it does work.

Depending on how many chicks, and what size/kind of box, yours might also be able to keep themselves warm.

I went on amazon and all i can find are hundred dollar ones & cheaper disposable ones that seem hit or miss when it comes to them actually working.
Disposable heat packs (sometimes sold as hand warmers) are used by people shipping small numbers of chicks, or lizards, or aquarium fish, or plants.

For just one trip, that is what I would try. Put one in a corner of the box, maybe tape it to be sure it stays put, and make sure the bottom of the box is not too slippery. That way the chicks can move closer to the warmth or away from it. You don't want cooked chicks or chilled chicks. For a not-slippery bottom, maybe use an old towel.

Be sure you have enough ventilation (holes in box, or something of the sort). Those single-use warmers need oxygen too, and you don't want the chicks to suffocate.

Personally, I would just wait on the chicks. But if you want to do it, I would try a disposable one-use warmer, unless you get enough chicks for their own body heat to keep them warm. Maybe buy more than one warmer, so you've got a spare in case one doesn't work.

I'd probably fill a sock with some rice and get a couple of those single-use handwarmers to pop in there. Should give them something warm to snuggle up next to.
I like this idea since i feel like it wouldn't be as much of a hassle to keep in place as a water bottle might be- plus i can curl the sock around into a nice comfy shape for them.

For most chick orders, hatcheries do NOT use any kind of heat pack. 25 chicks in a certain size box, or 15 chicks in a different size box, make enough body heat to keep themselves warm in most temperatures. They have the number of chicks, and the box sizes, worked out carefully so it does work.

Depending on how many chicks, and what size/kind of box, yours might also be able to keep themselves warm.

Disposable heat packs (sometimes sold as hand warmers) are used by people shipping small numbers of chicks, or lizards, or aquarium fish, or plants.

For just one trip, that is what I would try. Put one in a corner of the box, maybe tape it to be sure it stays put, and make sure the bottom of the box is not too slippery. That way the chicks can move closer to the warmth or away from it. You don't want cooked chicks or chilled chicks. For a not-slippery bottom, maybe use an old towel.

Be sure you have enough ventilation (holes in box, or something of the sort). Those single-use warmers need oxygen too, and you don't want the chicks to suffocate.

Personally, I would just wait on the chicks. But if you want to do it, I would try a disposable one-use warmer, unless you get enough chicks for their own body heat to keep them warm. Maybe buy more than one warmer, so you've got a spare in case one doesn't work.
Yeah, unfortunately i'm only getting 3 or 4 chicks.

Those reptile/tropical pet ones were what i was looking at, but lots of the reviews were filled with complaints about them not getting to their advertised temperature and only working for less than 2 hours so im divided on whether or not they're completely trustworthy. If i find a brand that has good reviews then i'd buy but i just havent found one yet.

thank you all for your help. :]

Does your mom's car have heated seats by any chance? You could set them on the passenger seat with the seats on if they're heated. If not does her car have a plug in/adapter? Walmart is always selling cheap heated throw blankets you could wrap the box in one of those for the trip and plug it in.

Those reptile/tropical pet ones were what i was looking at, but lots of the reviews were filled with complaints about them not getting to their advertised temperature and only working for less than 2 hours so im divided on whether or not they're completely trustworthy. If i find a brand that has good reviews then i'd buy but i just havent found one yet.
Will someone be able to check on the chicks while you are driving?

If so, buy a 10-pack or so, and check at intervals. Replace the heat pack if needed.

If the chicks get cold, they will probably peep more and louder than if they are comfortable. So extra peeping would be a signal to check. Of course they will do some peeping anyway, because riding in the car is scary.

Will someone be able to check on the chicks while you are driving?

If so, buy a 10-pack or so, and check at intervals. Replace the heat pack if needed.

If the chicks get cold, they will probably peep more and louder than if they are comfortable. So extra peeping would be a signal to check. Of course they will do some peeping anyway, because riding in the car is scary.
Yes, my mother is going to be driving and ill be keeping an eye on them since im the one with the most chicken experience. And now thinking about it, my grandfather is coming along as well and because of that we'll be making occasional stops anyway because he doesnt do well on long car rides- so in the worst case scenario we can stop at a store along the way for an alternative if whatever heat source we choose fails on us.

Back
Top Bottom