RIR Rooster over Hyline Brown hens?

okstate1010

Hatching
Mar 2, 2023
Has anyone hatched eggs from RIR Roosters over Hyline Brown hens? I know Hyline is a brand, not a breed; It's my understanding that they are made by mating a RIR Rooster to New Hampshire Red hens. Would this make a 3/4 RIR and 1/4 New Hampshire red offspring? I know genetics are far more complex than that, but wondering what the result is if anyone has done it. Thanks.

Attachments

• F4E48CEE-C2E7-4DBC-9B16-8F6B1081024F.jpeg
    F4E48CEE-C2E7-4DBC-9B16-8F6B1081024F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
They aren’t a New Hampshire x RIR because they have white tail feathers. About half of the offspring will look like RIRs (but won’t be purebred) and the other half will look like the hyline browns.

Hyline Browns are not made by mating a RIR rooster over a New Hampshire hen. They are one of the hybrids developed for commercial egg laying similar to the ISA Browns. The parent flocks have been developed through several generations of selective breeds so when they are crossed they produce a relatively small red sex linked hen that lays a large sized egg. The Hyline Browns should be more the size of a Leghorn than a large Dual Purpose breed like RIR.

I have not done that cross but I'd expect basically red or brown chickens with some traits like the Hyline Browns and some traits like the RIR. They should lay pretty well but probably won't be that big for a meat chicken.

Hyline Browns are not made by mating a RIR rooster over a New Hampshire hen. They are one of the hybrids developed for commercial egg laying similar to the ISA Browns. The parent flocks have been developed through several generations of selective breeds so when they are crossed they produce a relatively small red sex linked hen that lays a large sized egg. The Hyline Browns should be more the size of a Leghorn than a large Dual Purpose breed like RIR.

I have not done that cross but I'd expect basically red or brown chickens with some traits like the Hyline Browns and some traits like the RIR. They should lay pretty well but probably won't be that big for a meat chicken.
Thank you, I’m after eggs over meat. I plan to find out in 21 days or so, I’ll post the results.

Back
Top Bottom