Rooster becoming an issue

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
I have a growing flock of 9 hens and 1 rooster I have a broody with 4 chicks and 2 pulleys who will be introduced soon.
My rooster is about 1.5 Wyandotte. I never had any issue with him until probably around late spring when he started attacking my husband and now has started going after me. I need to be very careful around him if he sees my bending down or not paying attention he will go in for a sneak attack. Especially if I’m holding anything he gets very aggressive.
He has never really bothered the hens but actually I thought was very good with them but today he pulled a bunch of feathers out of one of the hens and she now has a big bald spot. A couple others look really rough loosing wing feathers and on their backs from breeding.

I am contemplating finding a new home for him to someone who does not mind the above mentioned behavior perhaps with more hens & land.

Does this behavior seem generally considered acceptable or am I being dramatic ?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 27
You are not being dramatic.
Some people will say to either try to fix the behaver, or put up with, but this is not how I see it.
There are so many good cockerels and roosters which never get to have a flock of there own, why keep one which makes chicken keeping such hard work??
Just be very careful re-homing him, as the last thing you want is for a kid in his new home to get badly hurt. I would butcher him myself, and not take the risk, but if you can't do that, they just be very clear about just how bad he is, and be ready to refuse to sell him to someone if they clearly don't know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom