Rooster Sign

StuttsHobbyFarm

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
One of our pullets has turned out to be a cockerel. My Hubby said we need to find its sign (main artery) to know if it's safe to trim his spur.

How do I even go about doing this?!
Thanks!

*also, is there a chat/thread specifically about raising roosters?

Attachments

• 20230426_114847.jpg
    20230426_114847.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 6
Does this involve cauterizing the spur bud as you would with the horns on a goat kid? I have never heard of this practice for baby cockerels. You do know that hens get spurs also?

I doubt I would go to this extreme to control rooster spurs, though, when removing them every couple years is so simple.

Does this involve cauterizing the spur bud as you would with the horns on a goat kid? I have never heard of this practice for baby cockerels. You do know that hens get spurs also?

I doubt I would go to this extreme to control rooster spurs, though, when removing them every couple years is so simple.
Yes, Hubby said yes to cauterizing the spur would be done only if there is a artery (sign) inside.

That's great that he knows how to do that. Some roosters bleed quite a lot when their spurs are removed. I have one such boy. He will continue to bleed for a week or two each time he knocks a healing spur nub against something. I've had to try to keep him confined until they heal.

Back
Top Bottom