Run covers

Sunny Day

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
I'm wondering what might be the best cover for my run. I live in the burbs and there are lots of hawks, etc. There could be raccoons, but I've not seen evidence. I was thinking a bird-netting might be too easy for something to get into, but I think it would be easiest to install. Would chicken wire be adequate since it's up so high or will I have the same problems as if lower? What kinds of animals other than those might I need to look out for? Thanks for your help and Happy Resurrection Day!

In the burbs? Cats. Dogs.Opossums? Probably depends on how far into the 'burbs' you live and in what area. I've read some people have problems with skunks.

I don't know about the bird netting, I'm not using it myself. How high is your run? My guess is that you'd be fine with chicken wire for the cover if it has adequate support.

There is a gamebird netting made especially for covering runs. It is lighter weight and easier to work with than chicken wire. It costs a lot though. I bought a 50 by 100 foot roll and it cost about 230 bucks. It is tough stuff and is UV resistant. We are by a river and have problems with eagles and hawks.

You usually don't have to worry about raccoons and opossums except at night so chicken wire or netting would be fine to keep out flying predators during the day. I assume you lock the birds up at night.

Not sure where you live, but I have metal tops on my smaller pens and half metal on the larger ones. It helps keep out the hot Texas sun and gives the birds a place to go outside if it is raining. Metal roofing is not that expensive since it comes in large sizes.

1-11-052.jpg

1-11-05.jpg

I love the hill country...nice trees there. No real trees to speak of in my neck of the woods. Just scrub brush.

Very nice coop/yard you have there.

Back
Top Bottom