Safe to add new chick to 3 day old chicks?

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi All,
I had 4 chickens hatch 3 days ago. They are all healthy, happy, and ejoying the brooding pen.
I had another chick hatch this morning. After he dries, is it safe to add him in the brooder with the other 4 chicks that are 3 days old?
Please let me know quick!
Thank you guys!
Julie
smile.png
jumpy.gif

Thanks Cynthia. One more question,,,about what age should I not mix chicks in with the old ones. Reason I'm asking is because I have more chicks due to hatch over the next 2 weeks. I'm not so sure it would be okay to add newly hatched chicks to the brooder with 1 or 2 week old chicks but I'm sure. I have several brooding pens with light/heat availible but I'm not sure what age I should seperate newly hatched chicks from the older hatched chicks. Does this make since??
Thank you for everyone's input who has had experience with this.
Julie
smile.png

P.S. Cyn,,,I'm sorry about the little dumpster chick who didn't make it of yours,,,I was really pulling for him!

Thanks for your condolences on the dumpster chick-we were so sad about that.
I have put in chicks that were a week apart without a problem. After that, the sizes get so much different, you could have problems, but it also depends to an extent on the temperament of the breeds involved. I have seen someone put day old chicks in with month-old Buff Orpingtons and the little ones acted like the older ones were their mommies, LOL! It was adorable. It may not work with say, Rhode Island Reds.

Hey again,
These are frizzle cochin chicks ,,,the new and the 3 day old as well,,,same breed. I'll watch them closely when I add the new one to the bunch. Thanks! Julie

Welllllllll,,,,I just tried it and it didn't go so well. The newly hatched chick from today of course is exausted and just wanting to nap while the 3 day old ones are running around actively. I place the newby in there and one older chick in particular came running up to him and pecked him a few times. I shood the older one away from him and then another came running and gave him a "fly by" scaring him a little. I just couldn't allow it so I placed the newby back into the incubator till he gets a little stronger. I also gave him a couple drinks of some water with some "Quick Chick" added to the warm water before I placed him back in the bator. Quick Chick is kind of like suger water for newly hatched chicks availible at Mcmurry. It has some electrolytes in it to help give them a boost. I'll try again in a little while. For now,,the newly hatched one is wanting to rest just like the others did after they hatched.
Still,,,no more pipping on the others eggs. I hope he's not going to be a lone wolf of his hatching. I will keep a watch out.
Julie
smile.png
roll.png

Update: The Lone wolf today has a sibling so I've got those two together now and the other 4 from Thursday together in another brooder. In a day or two I'll put them all together but I'd like the new little ones to get a little bit stronger first.
Julie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom