Sally's GF3 thread

Some very severe storms came through southern lower Michigan last evening.

No damage or problems by me. But Portage, MI was hit twice. 14 tornados in Michigan, awaiting confirmation by the National Weather Service.

Some injuries, no fatalities reported. LOTS of buildings damaged or destroyed. Pictures of a house that was lifted off its foundation and turned upside down. A FedEx facility has some major damage.

Someday it'll be "our turn." If that was last August (70 mph winds, some trees down, and a 4 day power outage), we are Lady Luck's own child.
Saw this on the news this morning.
Glad you were not affected.

Kudos to the Channel 8 (Grand Rapids) weather team. I turned the TV on at 5:40, and it was all weather, and they never went to commercial before we turned it off at 7:15. Didn't even go to the national news.

The town of Portage, MI, was hit with TWO tornados. That's about 90 miles south of us.

The chief meteorologist, Ellen Bacca, has family in Portage. She was giving the street level wind report, and her voice was breaking, sounding like she was holding back a sob. Blake Harms was the other meteorologist reporting, and told her, it's ok, I'll take over.

Yeah, what might I be feeling if I had to report that there were winds in excess of 110 mph at or near the street of someone I loved? How would I sound? I wouldn't have been able to hold it together as well as she did.

The fact that they can even get that level of accuracy is astounding to me. Their expertise and equipment/resources are phenomenal.
Our local stations broadcast continuously when tornadoes are forming in the county. I appreciate it, as not everyone has cable TV weather channels.

Michigan has never had a "tornado emergency" but we did yesterday. The tornado emergency means there is a confirmed tornado on the ground, with serious, imminent threat to property and human life.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to Storm Team 8; I bet their informed and accurate coverage may have saved lives yesterday. No fatalities reported, and I haven't heard of serious injuries either.

Michigan has never had a "tornado emergency" but we did yesterday. The tornado emergency means there is a confirmed tornado on the ground, with serious, imminent threat to property and human life.
Not true.
There was one about 5 miles from here in 2018.
A huge one, F3 11 miles thru downtown Kalamazoo in 1980.

Back
Top Bottom