Salmonella in eggs?

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
Ok, so just as I'm getting excited talking about having eggs by the fall, my dad has to chime in about the salmonella being passed to the eggs, and that I have to clean them when they are only warm, and so on and so on......Ok, so what do I do to prevent this from happening??

I've read that it is actually the process of "forced molting" in the commercial industry that causes the occurance of salmonella. Forced molting depresses the cellular immune response and increases the severity of a concurrent intestinal Salmonella enteritidis (SE) infection.

At one point, salmonella infections were traced to dirty or cracked eggs. Just be sure to clean your eggs in water that is hotter than the temperature of the egg. Only wash them if they are soiled, as the egg is sealed in a "cuticle" that protects the egg from the entry of bacteria. Washing the egg washes the cuticle off, so unless you are using the egg immediately, you may want to wipe a very light layer of oil on the egg (vegetable, olive, etc.). If I have to do this I put a pea sized drop of oil on a paper towel, rub the egg down with the oil, then follow with a clean paper towel to remove any excess.

Salmonella is a disease born from filth. If you are keeping your coop clean, the occurance of salmonella will probably never happen.

Please remember that washing your eggs will almost force what is outside in. The shell has pores and if using colder water will immediately open up those pores and allow bacteria etc. in to your egg. If your chickens are healthy, then Salmonella will not be your problem. The only thing I would disagree on is Salmonella being born totally of filth. I contracted Salmonella in my blood back in May of this year. I will tell you that my coops and chickens are very well maintained. To prevent the health department from telling us that we had to destroy our flock, we put them on Tetracycline and didn't eat the eggs for the duration of ATB therapy or for a week afterwards. They tested those eggs and found them to be clear of any Salmonella bacteria. Now I'm not suggesting that you put your birds on anitibotics because in doing so will actually lessen their immune system. ATB therapy should only be used when there is an actual need. Our entire household to include the dogs, cat, kids and chickens were tested and treated although I am the only one who contracted the disease. Just know that if you are keeping your coop and flock clean, there should be no reason why you would have to worry about Salmonella.

Back
Top Bottom