SG Jumbo Quail...update and NEWS!

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Just wanted to post an update on my birds. Noo pics yet but will be sure to get some soon when I have the time. I'm calling my birds SG jumbos....and I'm finally done with the culling. I sold all my extra adults and juveniles...and now have a good bunch of birds for my breeder flock next year. I wont be just selling Jumbo Browns though. The flock is going to be a mix of colors...with over 50% of the flock being Jumbo Browns. I got a call a couple days ago from the TOP quail guy at Texas A&M university. He was wondering about my birds and he gave me a ton of good advice. It is going to be a long project but a FUN one! My breeder flock next year will contain the following birds....

Jumbo Brown
Jumbo Golden
Golden x Ginger
Ginger
Tuxedo
British Dark Range

I have also been talking with a well known quail breeder friend of mine, Garrie Cox, and he is going to possibly try to import some Coturnix eggs from Australia. I GOT FIRST ON HIS LIST for eggs from him when the birds he hatches start laying. If all goes well some of the birds he hatches should have the Platinum/Silver gene which currently as far as I know doesnt exhist in the U.S. for Coturnix. Sooo I will have Platinum/Silver birds or birds conatining the gene next year as well! One of the FIRST in the country!
Really looking forward to this....and will try and get pics up soon.
Thanks all!
big_smile.png

Wow Sam, you are taking this very seriously. Nice.
thumbsup.gif

Are all the breeds you listed together or are you using seperate pens?
It sounds like you are trying to create one breed out of several different
breeds and gene pools. Am I understanding this correctly?

On another note, I'm on day 11(I think) with your eggs and the one male of
your's I have has started to crow, or whatever you call it. He is still living in
a small cage in my living room and is delighting my wife and son with his calls.

LOL if all goes well ticks....PC that is correct...all in one pen....trying to just create JUMBO Coturnix of all colors. Not just one specific color. I have some Jumbo Birds and I have some regular sized birds. That is what is need to with some time...create a great Jumbo bird! I hope you get a good hatch on those eggs....that is another thing next year I'm going to shoot for greater fertility...not sure why it wasn't great this year...I was running a fine ratio of males to females. Owell at least I learned what to change!
big_smile.png

Just wanted to say....talked with Garrie...the eggs he might be importing this fall are from a mixed color flock in Australia....Lots of coool colors in this group! Can't wait...we are both equally EXCITED!
big_smile.png

LOL heck yes! Quail are really my passion....and sorry done selling eggs this year because of culling...but still get lots of eggs..just dont want to sell them. Also just keep your eye out in the spring for any of my adds/auctions...I dont bother with a waiting list as it would be reaaaaallllllyyyy long.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom