Should be hatched already

Harris14

Songster
Oct 16, 2020
I put eggs in April 16th. All have hatched and out with a broody hen. One egg left. I cracked it and the baby is still alive. Why hasn’t it hatched? It’s way overdue.

I should say it’s a small hole just big enough to see if the baby in the egg is moving and it is.

I put eggs in April 16th. All have hatched and out with a broody hen. One egg left. I cracked it and the baby is still alive. Why hasn’t it hatched? It’s way overdue.
Tue May 7 was day 21 so while it was overdue it was only a day over which can happen especially if there is cool spots in the incubator. is the baby still alive today?

Tue May 7 was day 21 so while it was overdue it was only a day over which can happen especially if there is cool spots in the incubator. is the baby still alive today?
Yes still alive. I can see it moving but it hasn’t pipped through the sack for air.

All other eggs hatched. Just the one hasn’t.
I had a duck egg that I thought was dead so long story short took the top of the shell off..... What I did (others helped me) was put coconut oil on the membrane, this was done around every 8 hrs to keep it moist), then cover the hole with plastic wrap. And bumped up the humidity a bit to help keep it moist. You will need to watch for internal pip and also candle to see if any veins are still visible.

For various reasons not all eggs hatch at exactly 21 days. Sometimes they are a full 2 days early or late. Sometimes all my eggs hatch within 16 hours of each other, sometimes it goes into the third day after the first before the last one hatches. It is not always due to temperatures either. Several different things can affect that in each individual egg.

When it does hatch and dries off you should be able to put it with the broody hen. I'd stick it under her after dark.

Back
Top Bottom