Should I set her eggs?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I am rather looking for second and third and however many opinions as I can get.

I currently have two broody hens. I have eggs set aside for them. The combination is Biel x JG roo, hens might be JG, Biel, or BA.

I had never planned to set the eggs of the Biel hen. She had some health problems as a chick, her eggs are oddly shaped and often have a "pop out" on the end. I never give her eggs away and always eat them first because they go bad within a week. She has never gone broody, and that's one of the things I am breeding for.

But she's my best layer, 8-12 days on, one day off. I am really tempted to stick one of her eggs in the batch.

I wouldn't want to set eggs from a hen that was not in tip-top shape; however, you could test it out this way and see what you get. Think of it as an experiment. 😊

I would not set her eggs. I only hatch eggs from hens that have the traits I want in my flock. Why would you want to incorporate her bad traits into your flock?

It is your choice of course, you may want to set her eggs to get the egg laying better established. But how much does that help if the eggs are substandard. To me it is not worth the risk.

The others lay 7/1, 6/1 and "Somewhere between 6/1 and 21/1, highly variable but closer to 6/1 on average." That last also laid all winter. The last is 2/1, but I already decided I won't set her eggs.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom