Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I got out some pea seeds just for planting in my 2X4 "pole bean" raised beds. However, I discovered that the new beds I just had filled had been dug up pretty bad...

View attachment 3828309

That bed was nice and level just the day before when I filled it. I'm thinking maybe squirrels got into it? Maybe birds? We have lots of rabbits running around the yard, but the raised beds are 16 inches high and I have never seen a rabbit jump up into a bed. If anyone knows the signs of these digging holes, let me know what is doing it. Thanks.

Well, I decided I would have to build a protective topper for the raised bed before I planted the pea (or bean) seeds. I used the 2X4's that I recently salvaged from the pallet made up entirely of 2X4's and put together with Torx screws. I made a couple of 2X4 foot frames with that wood and used some old chicken wire I had from previous projects...

View attachment 3828311

Turned out to be quite a job using that old chicken wire. I had to stretch it out with one hand while stapling it with the other. If I had used brand new chicken wire, it would have gone much easier. But I did not want to go to town to buy new chicken wire for just a couple of small frames. So, I used what I had and got it done.

Here is a picture of the raised beds with the protective toppers on them....

View attachment 3828312

That chicken wire topper should protect the young seeds and plants long enough to establish themselves. After that, I don't think they will get dug out by whatever has been digging in the raised beds.

🤔 I might make a few more of those chicken wire protective toppers. It is nice that I can use a couple of those 2X4 foot toppers and use them to protect my standard sized 4X4 foot raised bed if I need it.
By me the squirrels. But also mice. Depends on size

The raised bed riser I slapped together for my potato crop is working out well. I've been packing dried leaves around the vines as they grow. I would've preferred to hill them up with dirt, but I don't have any garden soil to spare.

IMG_3690.JPG IMG_3692.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG IMG_4097.JPG

The raised bed riser I slapped together for my potato crop is working out well. I've been packing dried leaves around the vines as they grow. I would've preferred to hill them up with dirt, but I don't have any garden soil to spare.

View attachment 3828733View attachment 3828734View attachment 3828735View attachment 3828736View attachment 3828738
I put straw around the potato plants. After Halloween I post on my local FB page for pumpkin and bales. Sometimes people want to drop off others want me to pickup.

The raised bed riser I slapped together for my potato crop is working out well.

Yeah, I liked that raised bed riser idea. I'm going to borrow that concept if I need extra soil depth on my raised beds that have normally 6-8 inches of topsoil. I have been thinking about using a riser like that to grow some daikon radish in a raised bed. Those radishes can get quite long. Maybe something small, just a foot or two square would be enough on top of a normal raised bed.

By me the squirrels. But also mice. Depends on size

I'm thinking it is squirrels digging in the raised bed. I don't see many mice around here, but there are some. I just don't understand what the squirrels are looking for in those raised beds because it is nothing but topsoil and compost in that top layer. Nothing has been planted yet.

Anyways, I got my peas ready to plant in the beds tomorrow. I found one pack of sugar peas with edible pods and three packs of peas that you have to shell the peas from the pods. I'm going to use them all up because the seeds are a few years old. What grows will be good enough for me.

I have been thinking about using a riser like that to grow some daikon radish in a raised bed. Those radishes can get quite long. Maybe something small, just a foot or two square would be enough on top of a normal raised bed.
I can't grow radishes in my garden because of root maggot infestation, so I'm growing daikon in a bucket.

I filled it with a new bag of potting soil, and keep it covered with floating row cover, secured with a bungee cord, only removing it to water the bucket. It seems to be working out nicely. I keep it on the south facing front porch, so it gets plenty of sunshine.

IMG_4066.JPG IMG_4065.JPG

Back
Top Bottom