Shy Puppy?

Yes, socialization doesn't mean the dog needs to interact with everyone he sees. In the case of a persistent person, you just need to be stern. Put yourself between them and the dog. It's a good habit to put yourself between your dog and other people in general. Gives you a lot more time and options if something happens (example you have more time to react if some random kid starts heading for your dog, but you don't want them interacting).

Don't feel bad about telling someone not to pet your dog. Yell at them if you have to. They are not entitled to petting your dog. And this type of person would 100% make trouble for you if your dog nipped at/bite them, even if you said no.

For socialization, you could take your dog to a park, pick a spot where the dog can see people but out of the way, and practice obedience. This will help with strengthening obedience training, help with distraction training, teach your dog that they'll need to listen even in public, and will be great for building your bond. This will help him become more comfortable in public and build his confidence in general. Though I would also still recommend group training classes.
Thank you! Yes, I wouldn’t want to have to put my dog down because of somebody rushing up to him. I’ll be more stern with people. He doesn’t mind if people talk to him and slowly walk up to him, but it is very jarring to have someone suddenly come up to him/start roughing up the fur around his face and cheeks. He also hates being held by people he doesn’t know well. I’ve had family members be overly persistent in wanting to hold him because they see me do it. I can hold him anyway I want, and he doesn’t care because I’ve spent so much time bonding with him 😂 but he’s shy with other people. Part of it is my fault- I say no, but I need to be more stern with that “ no “ when others are persistent.

We got some good parks close by we could bring him to. Also some pet stores. He’s getting more confident in his sit/stay training. When he gets nervous, I usually make him sit and stay, giving him treats when he doesn’t squirm or fight the leash to get away. He’s gotten better. He does better in stores than on trails.

Thanks again for the help!

You are doing great, just keep it up. A little additional advice... If the dog is struggling with following a command, make it easier. Too many distractions? Move further away or to a quieter place. Dog is struggling with down? Switch to sit. It's okay to make things easy. Set the dog up for success because all the little "wins" is what will build his confidence.

How old is your Sheltie?

I know some people say “Don’t pet my dog, he bites” and that works for them. Personally I don’t, because I’m worried people will overreact. I just say “I’m sorry, he’s afraid of children”, or something like that. And move farther away if I have to. It’s awful that some people won’t take no for an answer. So rude.
He is five months old. He will be six months in two weeks.

Yes, that might be better. I could say “ He isn’t comfortable around strangers. “ or “ He doesn’t like strangers petting him. “

Oops, I wasn’t done typing 😅

You asked if your sheltie can become comfortable around people with more socializing. Absolutely! Many shelties love people. Of course I can’t say how your Sheltie in particular will turn out, but don’t give up. I would focus on rewarding your dog for calm behavior whenever new people are around. Start off not to close, and then move closer IF your dog is doing well. I highly recommend the “Control Unleashed” books.

Of my 3 shelties:
Kip, 4 years old. No reactivity, loves children. Will let anyone pet him but he isn’t going to run up to people for attention. He is very focused on me and will ignore people if he is in training mode.

Brie, 4 years old. Very much a one person dog and couldn’t care less about the existence of other people. He will let adults pet him but he doesn’t care about it one way or another and will practically never seek attention from other people. That being said, he isn’t afraid either. Initially he was anxious around children. He is the one I described previously. At this point he will ignore children and is relaxed around them but I don’t get too close.

Story is 2. He is generally very confident but also not very interested in other people. He will let some people pet him but doesn’t really enjoy it. Initially he was nervous around children but he is getting more confident. Like my other dogs, he can focus and relax around any people
Thank you! I don’t necessarily want him to run up to anybody, but I would prefer him be okay with anyone petting him- sorta have a “ I don’t care “ attitude. Eventually, I would like to train him into a therapy dog- that wouldn’t be for several years now, but I understand that his socialization needs to start early.

You are doing great, just keep it up. A little additional advice... If the dog is struggling with following a command, make it easier. Too many distractions? Move further away or to a quieter place. Dog is struggling with down? Switch to sit. It's okay to make things easy. Set the dog up for success because all the little "wins" is what will build his confidence.
Thank you! He’s very confident with sit and touch. He understands stay… just need him to be patient 😅 He isn’t as confident with down. He likes to go halfway, and it confuses him when I don’t reward it. He’s done it before so he knows “ down. “ I think after he understands I’m consistently looking for him to go *all* the way down, he’ll have more confidence.

Thank you! He’s very confident with sit and touch. He understands stay… just need him to be patient 😅 He isn’t as confident with down. He likes to go halfway, and it confuses him when I don’t reward it. He’s done it before so he knows “ down. “ I think after he understands I’m consistently looking for him to go *all* the way down, he’ll have more confidence.
:lol: I have the same problem with Luc. He'll go in a down but as soon as he gets a reward or good, he'll spring right up. I have to wait till he is in a relaxed down (back legs to one side instead of either side of him, if that makes sense) before rewarding.

:lol: I have the same problem with Luc. He'll go in a down but as soon as he gets a reward or good, he'll spring right up. I have to wait till he is in a relaxed down (back legs to one side instead of either side of him, if that makes sense) before rewarding.
Our German Shepherd does the same thing! 😂 They just get so excited.

Back
Top Bottom