Soaking feed

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
Does anyone have experience soaking feed? I haven’t done this yet but am wanting to try soaking it overnight before feeling, would this be enough time? I might venture into fermenting but wanted to try this first. We feed whole grain feed that does get powdery in with whole pieces mixed in.

Do it. They love it.

Pellets and crumble only needs a few minutes to become a porridge.just gotta figure out the water amount for that particular pellet so it's not to runny. So measure fro the start rather than guestimate.

Layer mash... ie grain with a little protein pellet or a crumble mixed in.... .needs 12-24 hrs soak imo. It's only for the benefit of the grain.

If it's just whole grain only...... where is the protein..... 12-24 hrs also.

I do. I don't wait any particular length of time. I mix it in their dish. Sometimes they eat it all within a couple of hours; sometimes they take a day or two. It depends on how much it is and how filled up they are at the start.

I do it so they can eat the fines since they get ground feed.

Does anyone have experience soaking feed? I haven’t done this yet but am wanting to try soaking it overnight before feeling, would this be enough time? I might venture into fermenting but wanted to try this first. We feed whole grain feed that does get powdery in with whole pieces mixed in.
I do! I ferment it for about 12 hr., and I compared it to regular feed, and they love it 10x more! There is only one problem though: Sometimes it could get a little stinky when you ferment it, so my dad told me to stop it. However, when it is really hot out, I'll give them their "treat" of the day, and just mix the feed in with water. It keeps them more hydrated, and it makes them more full, I read.

Back
Top Bottom