sour crop??

romykyra

Hatching
Apr 24, 2024
I have an easter egger who has been having a soft but full crop for about a week now. She is seperated since last tuesday and I witheld food for 24 hours and the crop did not go down. I have made her bring a lot of fibrous stuff up and it seemed down a little bit but will still not empty. I have given her small bits of yoghurt and boiled egg here and there and added acv to her water. I have also been giving monistat to treat for sour crop (does smell sour) but not really any improvement yet in the size of her crop. it is soft and squishy and gassy. She is happy and eating well, normal bm, energetic.

what do i do?

Have you read this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/. She may have two forms of crop disorder. I would treat for impacted crop along with sour crop. Offer grit and give a probiotic tablet each day.

Don't withhold food and water. But avoid grass and other high fiber foods while the crop is impacted.
This article has very useful information. However, I want to be more specific: If you feed pellets or crumbles, you can continue to give her the same food. I use Scratch and Peck grower mash that contains whole grains, so I had to switch it to chick crumbles for my hen with sour crop. I tested the chick crumbles and found it will just melt in water, so it's ideal to feed it to a chicken with sour crop. I would only give her eggs yolks not white when her crop is still clogged.

I recently had a hen with the same symptoms. I treated with probiotics, coconut oil, massaging, monistat, epsom salt flush followed by acidified copper sulfate, etc. for sour crop. Had no improvement in a couple weeks. So I tried stool softener for impacted crop, then I noticed her crop started to be smaller. After two days of stool softener, I repeated the sour crop treatments and finally get her crop empty and found some grass stuck in her crop for a long time. Sometimes, even when it looks like sour crop, it could be caused by impacted crop. So treating for both impacted and sour crop could help. Good luck with your girl!

Chickens are good at hiding illness. When I just started to treat my hen for sour crop, she still ate like a pig, acted normal, and was laying eggs. After about 10 days, she stopped laying, kept jerking her crop, ate less, and her energy was going down. After I finally got her crop smaller, she got better everyday and started to lay again. If you hen still act normal, she could just be at the early stage of sour crop. Early treatments has a better chance to solve her problem.

Back
Top Bottom