Spraddle/Splayed leg in 3 month old

HenSolo123

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
Help! This pullet is 3 months old. At 2 weeks she got spraddle leg, fixed with splinting them together with a bandaid. Now today I noticed her walking weird again and as of the last half hour she won’t get up to walk at all. I tried the hair and in a straw to bring her legs together but she just flopped and flipped over with that on. I ordered nutridrench vitamins for her water but it won’t arrive until tomorrow night

She was left out in the run by the others. Had to carry and place her on the floor of the coop. Hoping she makes the night 😞
F9046045-704B-4D4F-8973-97D877E65907.jpeg

Anyone have any other advice? She cannot walk at all. I’ve splinted her legs together with vet tape, but she just lays on her side (tries to use her wings to lift herself up). I’ve been hand feeding her scrambled eggs and holding her to her water, as well as dipping her beak in vitamins, twice a day. I move her into the covered run in the morning and back onto the coop floor at night so she can stay with her flock (she gets upset when she’s left alone).

she is 1.5 weeks in. I have to keep her legs splinted or she is 100% helpless. She still cannot walk. Just today she is balancing on her legs so she is at least not laying on her side or neck. Her belly is raw from laying on it. She still has a will. Eats and drinks we’ll when held in front of food and water. Giving rooster booster and nutridrench in water. Scrambled eggs daily also
930CA2C1-EDE7-475C-81F6-ED5821FB2C28.jpeg

Oh man, poor baby. Hang in there. My chick was tiny bit somehow her belly was already completely raw. She is so much stronger now and I'm happy to report that her tum feathers are growing back. Fx your little darling makes a full recovery ❤️

How is she doing? I've recently seen 2 other chicks/pullets that look like mille fleur d'Uccles with spraddle/splay legs. Mine is 2 wks old from Meyer Hatchery and currently has this. I'm wondering if this is a problem with this breed or the hatchery or ??

How is she doing? I've recently seen 2 other chicks/pullets that look like mille fleur d'Uccles with spraddle/splay legs. Mine is 2 wks old from Meyer Hatchery and currently has this. I'm wondering if this is a problem with this breed or the hatchery or ??
From my three weeks of caring for her and all my searching, I think this breed is prone to it. I still have her splinted, but B and rooster booster daily. She has a good will to live but still can’t use her legs. She uses her wings to move a couple feet when she wants. I’m going to keep caring for her until she seems worse or better. I didn’t isolate mine, she’s living outside with her sisters

She was left out in the run by the others. Had to carry and place her on the floor of the coop. Hoping she makes the night 😞 View attachment 3488548
This reference may help you make a splint. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I have been splinting a 9 wk lemon Dutch Owlbeard born with a valgus bone deformity. I used cardboard for her sandals, vet wrap and some microfiber cloth that I cut up and used as a spacer between her legs by wrapping it around the leg and securing with vet wrap. She is back out with her flock, I had her in my kitchen to change out her supports

Attachments

• IMG_7089.jpeg
    IMG_7089.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7086.jpeg
    IMG_7086.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7087.jpeg
    IMG_7087.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7100.jpeg
    IMG_7100.jpeg