Stray debeaked hen. Any tips/advice welcome!

Rose_adamaj

Songster
Apr 6, 2023
Texas
Over the past thirty years my home has gone from in the country to semi rural. I get stray animals all the time. The past year I have started getting stray hens & guineas.
My latest stray hen, Ready, has been debeaked 🤬 When Ready eats, her upper & lower beaks move sideways of each other, I’m assuming she has damage from the debeaking. I have read a lot on here about different ways to feed her. I hand fed her today and that’s when I saw that her beaks didn’t line up when trying to eat - which also explains why she is severely underweight.
I have other hens, but Ready wants to be with myself or my husband. The gentleness seems to be a common theme with these poor mutilated hens.
I’m thinking about oats with scrambled eggs, possibly grinding the eggshells with the eggs. I need to get some good nutrition in her!!! Ready will appreciate any advice you can give me!

Over the past thirty years my home has gone from in the country to semi rural. I get stray animals all the time. The past year I have started getting stray hens & guineas.
My latest stray hen, Ready, has been debeaked 🤬 When Ready eats, her upper & lower beaks move sideways of each other, I’m assuming she has damage from the debeaking. I have read a lot on here about different ways to feed her. I hand fed her today and that’s when I saw that her beaks didn’t line up when trying to eat - which also explains why she is severely underweight.
I have other hens, but Ready wants to be with myself or my husband. The gentleness seems to be a common theme with these poor mutilated hens.
I’m thinking about oats with scrambled eggs, possibly grinding the eggshells with the eggs. I need to get some good nutrition in her!!! Ready will appreciate any advice you can give me!
I would start with scrambled egg only.
Can you post pics for the more experienced than me?

I would get some nutri-drench and give her a couple of drops from a syringe for a couple of days. Lots of vitamins and will get into her system fast.

Debeaking is a disgusting practice. A few of the Ex Battery hens I've looked after had beaks in a shicking state.
Can you post a picture or two?
A point that often gets overlooked is debeaked hens can't groom themselves properly and this makes them prone to lice and mites.
Any food that supplies a complete protein is good, meat, fish, some dairy produce, eggs are the easiest. I've chopped such foods up and using a hand blender turned them into mush.
But, bear in mind the hens still needs to eat grit and solids to keep her digestive system functioning properly so a liquid diet is okay for a short period of time.
Depending on the damage to the beak, you may be able to file it bit by bit to some kind of point. It's a delicate job. A tiny bit at a time and the hen won't like it.

While on the subject, for anyone reading who doesn't fully understand just how awfull debeaking is this will explain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168159111003285
Thank you so much for your advice!!!
I’m sorry I dropped out of sight after posting about Ready. We had days of rain, then I noticed one of my hens, Buffy, was limping. I’ve got her in a crate & she’s doing great.
Ready is eating good - I’m sorry I still haven’t gotten any pictures. I put laying pellets in a deep bowl - read about doing that here. Vitamins in water. Her water is in a heavy bottom three inch tall glass. That has worked best out of all the things I tried.
Ready loves super worms & gets three every evening when she comes in the house to her crate for bedtime.
Why would I have her coming in every night? Because after the rain, & after I crated Buffy for her foot, a large possum got in & killed two of the hens in the coop😣😢
Thank you for all the food suggestions! She needs to gain a lot of weight and I am going to feed her a lot of them.
I had not thought about Ready not being able to groom herself properly! I put a little diatomaceous earth in her crate. Do I need to do more?
I will get pictures. I think the damage is severe, but I’m fortunate that I never dealt with this before.

Back
Top Bottom