Teach a chick to use the ramp to outside and then come back in?

ClundRnc

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Our chicks are in the coop and with the onset of warm weather, we constructed a ramp for them to use to go outside into their yard and then back in at night. The first day went pretty well they struggled with using the ramp, but managed it and then all but 2 made it back all by themselves to the coop! Today, they all 8 made it outside and only 3 got back in. How do you teach them this skill?
Thanks

Photos of the coop/ramp may be helpful.

Chicks too!📷

If you have a few that are able to make it back in, then the others will eventually learn.

Chicks are funny little things, they don't like to go to bed when you want them to, they will huddle just outside the coop or even on the ramp and yell that they just simply can not do it😝

I usually just place them in the coop if they are yelling. After a few days they settle down and finally decide, yes...I can do it😂

Chicks are funny little things, they don't like to go to bed when you want them to, they will huddle just outside the coop or even on the ramp and yell that they just simply can not do it😝
OMG, Yes!! My ten 3-week old chicks huddle on the ramp screaming from the cold (30s), with the warming plate 18 inches away inside.
I place them in the coop and they turn around to go to the huddle ramp.

It took two day before the collectively shared neuron fired off in a glorious moment of common sense and the group got out of the cold. :he

I have that same problem with my elevated grow-out coop. Even if they have been housed in it for over a week they try to sleep under the pop door. They don't have to use a ramp or steps (I use steps), they could fly up if they want to but they just don't want to. Since some of yours use the ramp I can't imagine there is anything wrong with your ramp.

One common problem is that the coop is so dark by the time they are ready for bed that they can't see to go in there. People have had success putting a light in there until after dusk. That's not why mine do that, my coop has plenty of natural light. Since some of your go in I doubt that is your problem.

What I do is go out after they have settled for the night and put them inside, locking them in. They are easier to catch if they have settled for the night. I typically have around 20 chicks in a brood. One time I had them all go in after one night of putting them in, a couple of times it took three weeks before the last few went in on their own when it got dark. What I typically see is that after a couple of nights a few start going in. Within a week they all are, but each group is unique, you can never tell how they will react.

Typically about half of mine use the steps to go up, half fly up. A few use the steps to go down but most fly down.

Back
Top Bottom