Théo and the chickens des Sauches

So my partner has accepted we need a fence around the garden. We have borrowed some electrical netting from Gaston the farmer temporarily that we need to put up tomorrow.
A breakthrough! That's good news for you and good news for future boars who won't be shot for eating at the Boar Cafe Sauches.

I was wrong.
My first iris came out today. Quickly followed by a friend. And the first daisies.
I still think those in less protected areas are a couple of weeks away.
IMG_6425.jpeg
IMG_6426.jpeg
IMG_6427.jpeg

I told my partner in September that securing the whole perimeter of the property was going to be a very long job. Some places are really hard to access. It's takes about an hour to carefully check the whole fence. And when he first began securing the fence he did not anchor it sufficiently deep and about a third of what he did was for nothing. So now the fence is only about two third secure. My point of view was always that we need to fence the garden. I was ready to pay for either an electric wire or more fence. A much smaller perimeter right in front of our house would be a lot easier to secure, but my partner has decided he doesn't want a fence around the garden. He is both terribly stubborn and overconfident. It's something I can love or find terribly aggravating about him depending on circumstances. Anyway I'm typing this in the dark in the woodshed taking the first shift of night watch for the boar😂...but it seems unlikely I will be able to send a boar's shoulder to Bristol.
Unless you can get thousands of volts going through the fence it won't keep a determined wild boar out. We had electric fences and apart from having to constantly stop them shorting out due to vegetation growth, or a sheep or donkey scratching on a post and pushing it over, when the the sheep or donkeys wanted out they just barged through it.:confused:

A properly erected stock net fence will keep them from pushing through a fence and we found that was enough, it stopped our charging ram.

I still think those in less protected areas are a couple of weeks away.
that would include mine :rolleyes: I didn't realize we were so behind this year, but everywhere we go, even a few miles away, seems to be ahead of us here. I think we must have copped a lot of very local low cloud/sea mist/fog or something similar to account for it. It has certainly been very damp and grey here throughout spring.

Back
Top Bottom