The Moonshiner's Leghorns

When it rains it pours.
We've had several severe thunderstorms over the last couple weeks and more coming. Two power outages so....
Lockdown today. Candled the eggs and the usual amount of clears but a first here....
Every other egg was a blood ring. No hatch this week. I'd assume next week will be same thing.

When it rains it pours.
We've had several severe thunderstorms over the last couple weeks and more coming. Two power outages so....
Lockdown today. Candled the eggs and the usual amount of clears but a first here....
Every other egg was a blood ring. No hatch this week. I'd assume next week will be same thing.
:hugs

0 this week
133 this season
M 5th hatch
20240503_083554.jpg

I feel very lucky I got 7 ducklings out of the eggs that survived my 60 hour power outage. None of the chicken eggs (or my goose eggs!) made it though.
I've noticed it just seems to take a lot more to take down ducks. They must have an unusual amount of spite in those little bodies

Also Moony, two of your pullets are trying to brood. They're crazy. Both blue silvers

I've noticed it just seems to take a lot more to take down ducks. They must have an unusual amount of spite in those bodies
This sounds correct.
I had a mallard sitting on eggs in the barn once. Got heavy rain and when I checked on her water had seeped under the wall and her nest and eggs were underwater.
Probably had been for a while too. They were ice cold but I moved them to higher ground and she went back to sitting and ended up with a most excellent hatch rate.
Also Moony, two of your pullets are trying to brood. They're crazy. Both blue silvers
That is crazy.. WTH is in your water up there?
No wait a minute.... you still running your chicken trailer park?
If so that's my guess. Trailer park girls are always trying to have babies.

This sounds correct.
I had a mallard sitting on eggs in the barn once. Got heavy rain and when I checked on her water had seeped under the wall and her nest and eggs were underwater.
Probably had been for a while too. They were ice cold but I moved them to higher ground and she went back to sitting and ended up with a most excellent hatch rate.

That is crazy.. WTH is in your water up there?
No wait a minute.... you still running your chicken trailer park?
If so that's my guess. Trailer park girls are always trying to have babies.
These ones are in the mini barn apartments 😂

I don't think I've ever had this many broodies this cold. It's like they KNOW I can't have a bunch of chicks hatch this year

Back
Top Bottom