Thoughts on this incubator

@Axelay2003 I know your post is a year old but since you mention you are in FL and it looks like you are using the same incubator we will be using I thought you could give some good advice. 1. How do you like the incubator? 2. Did you use the dry or wet hatch method? 3. What % of humidity did you have the first 18 days versus the last 3? Sorry about all of the questions but this is my first batch in FL and will be first time using the Maticoopx 30.
Hello,

No problem!

Here are my answers:

1. How do you like the incubator?

The MaricoopX incubator is my first incubator purchased. I do not have any experience with other brands. I purchased this brand based solely on reviews and ease of use and clean up.

The incubator is easy to set up and super easy to clean. I really like using it because of it.

The vertical height inside has more than enough headroom for large fowl chicks. I have not incubated ducks or geese. The temperature and humidity is very consistent, but with a caveat which I will explain later.

2. Did you use the dry or wet hatch method? I did the dry hatch method with my first 2 batches. I had mixed results. I got about 57% hatch rate(16 of 28 from Georgia) in the first batch. I believe 3 of those eggs that didn’t hatch were not fertilized). I got about 83% on the second batch. Both batches were shipped eggs. Humidity was consistently at 30-33% from day 1 to 18. From day 19 to 21, water was added and humidity was maintained at around 55%.

I tried the dry hatch method with eggs from my farm. I got 100% (32 of 32) hatch rate. From day 1 to 19, no water was added. Humidity was consistently at 30-33%. From day 20 to 21, water was added and humidity was maintained at around 55%. The reason I started adding water at day 20 is because I total forgot about adding water on day 19. Also, I opened the incubator maybe 4 times on day 18-19.

3. What % of humidity did you have the first 18 days versus the last 3?

See my answer for dry hatch.

Here in lies the caveat.

The newer MaticoopX is on the left(only less than a month old, 2023). This newer one comes with a plastic bottle to hold water(which I didn’t use). I also noticed the top clear plastic has an ever so slight movement when placed on the base. The older model has a tighter fit and tolerance. The one on the right was purchased in early 2023.

I would recommend a humidity and temperature reader like the Govee brand. I purchased the first Govee in early 2023, same time as the first MaticoopX. I purchased the second Govee with the second MaticoopX last month.

I checked to see if they both were similar in accuracy and it was confirmed.

The temp and humidity on both of my MaticoopX incubators are off. As you can see in the photos, the left incubator(2024) temp was off by 0.5 degrees F. The right incubator(2023) is 1.3 degrees F off. Left incubator humidity is 6.6% off. The right incubator humidity is 5.6% off.

You can set the incubator temp to calibrate with the Govee. Unfortunately, you can’t change the humidity % number on the incubators or maybe I haven’t figured it out yet.

NOTE: I placed the Govee(s) in the middle on the yellow egg carrier. The numbers do change as you move the Govee around the incubator(corners versus back versus sides, etc…you will get slightly different readings).

As you can see, I have eggs in them right now. (Photos taken 04-22-2024). I’ll update to let you know how many hatch. All of these eggs have been shipped to me.

Hope this helps….

Attachments

• IMG_3909.png
    IMG_3909.png
    720.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thank you so much. The info you provided is very helpful. I have an Acurite thermometer/hygrometer. Not sure how accurate. I have read so many recommended the Govee so I ordered one but it will not be delivered until next week. I have not put any water in but humidity is 34%. I have read of people not putting water in the full time but I still may put some in to lift the humidity to around 55%. The one fault I have with the Maticoopx is it not having handles. I saw someone say they added commando hooks to the lid. Iwould be interested in your success of your current batch of hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom