TSC chicks

We were at Tractor Supply today getting feed for the various animals and the lady at the register mentioned they're getting their first shipment of chicks at the end of this week. We've bought from TSC and also from online hatcheries, as well as encouraging broody hens; since we haven't had any new egg layers recently, I'm thinking about getting a good handful to add to the mix. I'm really looking forward to investing more in our small homestead infrastructure and animals this year! When we get some later on this week I'll post some photos here, as long as nobody minds pics of new chicks!
I just called and they said to bring in my receipt to do a trade. No body though. <3

Two months in, and the mortality rate has been pretty bad. We just lost another one yesterday, which brings our total down to eight now, from fifteen! Almost a 50% loss. We've lost meaties in the past, so I wasn't surprised to see a few die. But we've had really nice cool weather, plenty of water and food, good free ranging, and no predators. They're just... dropping dead.

Oh, and we got a kunekune pig! Don't pay any attention to our overgrown rasied beds, we're letting the land get its rest this year :)
IMG_5253.jpg

Two months in, and the mortality rate has been pretty bad. We just lost another one yesterday, which brings our total down to eight now, from fifteen! Almost a 50% loss. We've lost meaties in the past, so I wasn't surprised to see a few die. But we've had really nice cool weather, plenty of water and food, good free ranging, and no predators. They're just... dropping dead.
When I was first talking about getting chickens with the farmers that live around here they would just chuckle at me and say "Chickens just seem to WANT to die. Be prepared for it."

I've only got my flock up and running for 2 days but yeah, I'm mentally preparing. Seems like a thing.

Back
Top Bottom