Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
Hi there
I'm hoping someone can help me to understand and help my little turkey.

I have 1 fully grown turkey (vanilla) and another that is still before laying age but shes basically adult size now (Yoghurt). Ever since we introduced the young one shes been attached to the older one, and when yoghurt can't actually see vanilla she screams... Alot. It happens everyday when Vanilla goes into the coop to lay. I thought she would grow out of it by now since she isn't a chick anymore but shes still going strong.

The weirdest part is that she KNOWS where vanilla is and most often will try to lay under her, until she gets chased out. Then she will go back in and lay next to the nesting box with her head inside. I assume she gets bored and walks out of the coop and at this point she can't see vanilla anymore so she starts screaming for her and looking for her.

I just just don't understand this behaviour and to me it looks like she instantly forgets where her "mum" is and screams until she rediscovers her.

I'm also worried that she is way too old now to be so clingy to the older turkey.

Any advice to help yoghurt get over this separation anxiety will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20220306_120515.jpg
    20220306_120515.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Since you used the word screaming, I was expecting something a lot more violent. :lau
But yeah, I agree with sourland that the solution would be to get more turkeys or deal with it. They're flock animals so they like buddies. ❤️
That turkey is not screaming. It is not even calling loudly. It is a common sound they make.

Back
Top Bottom