Two sickly birds: trouble walking, imbalance turned to lethargy

mmatlock

Chirping
Jun 12, 2021
Denver, CO
Hello! I have two birds exhibiting the same symptoms a few days apart.

White pullet started showing symptoms of some lethargy plus "drunken" walk three days ago. We quarantined her with water, water with electrolytes and her feed supplemented with "rooster booster" vitamins. She has only become more lethargic with a pulled in head.

Other symptoms/information:
Head tucked back
Very thin
Several days
3 months old
Eating and drinking
Sleeping a lot
Pale comb

No signs of trauma
No new birds introduced (these were hatched)
No respiratory signs
No watery eyes
Normal droppings
No signs of mites or lice

Treated previous generation of chickens for mites successfully 6 months ago
Use pine shavings bedding, wood chips in run (straw is just in the quarantine coop because that's what I had on hand

Last night, cockerel started exhibiting same lack of coordination. He is also three months old.

If one dies, I will get a necropsy, but I would love any advice until then. I'm going to clean out our main coop and add all new shavings. I'm tempted to treat for mites again just in case even though we looked closely and didn't see any. I would love any guidance!

Thank you so much for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_8547.jpeg
    IMG_8547.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_8548.jpeg
    IMG_8548.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.39.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.39.15 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 6
Any chance they ate some moldy feed or something rotten?
I combed through their feed and deep cleaned the coop with no signs of mold or wet spots, but thank you so much for the idea to check.

Both birds are still eating, with no significant decline. They have access to feed with added vitamins and both clear and fortified water. I'm curious if you have any other ideas for things to check or try!

If one dies, I will take it to get a necropsy, but they are in this symptomatic plateau it seems.

I combed through their feed and deep cleaned the coop with no signs of mold or wet spots, but thank you so much for the idea to check.

Both birds are still eating, with no significant decline. They have access to feed with added vitamins and both clear and fortified water. I'm curious if you have any other ideas for things to check or try!

If one dies, I will take it to get a necropsy, but they are in this symptomatic plateau it seems.
I’m sorry this is an issue for you. I’ve got the same thing going on with three of my birds, and am also hoping to get some feedback on treatment and what is going on. Good luck to you 💚

I’m sorry this is an issue for you. I’ve got the same thing going on with three of my birds, and am also hoping to get some feedback on treatment and what is going on. Good luck to you 💚
I'm so sorry you are dealing with something similar! If you find any helpful advice, could you share it here as well? I'll do the same!

I'm so sorry you are dealing with something similar! If you find any helpful advice, could you share it here as well? I'll do the same!
Thank you! I’ve been giving vitamin e, and I’m off to pick up b complex, as well. I’ll feed them scrambled eggs when I get home. I’ve also got nutridrench in their water. I’ll check their poop, as well. They are quarantined together. I’ll be following this thread, as well. Fingers crossed for both of us 🤞

I forgot to ask what you feed.

I'd continue with the vitamins.
Do check them over really well for lice/mites since there was an issue in the past. Bugs can sneak back up on you.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms and/or coccidiosis.

I forgot to ask what you feed.

I'd continue with the vitamins.
Do check them over really well for lice/mites since there was an issue in the past. Bugs can sneak back up on you.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms and/or coccidiosis.
Hi Wyorp Rock! Thanks again for your advice. We lost the birds and did a necropsy on both, and they were diagnosed with Marek's disease. I'm just starting my research (and just left a message with Colorado State avian hotline) on managing this with the rest of our birds, but if you have any resources you specifically recommend, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom