Urgent

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi all. I know this probably qualifies more under eggs/incubation , but do to the fact that it’s so urgent I figured I would post it here. We bought some chicks to put under our broody hen. From everything I read, you should set up a space for the mother and her babies. We have a beautiful nesting box I bought and I put it inside the big beautiful separate space (bigger than a dog crate, probably like 5 feet long by 3 feet wide and about 4 feet high. Made with 4 x 4 posts and hardware cost with a door and the top is covered with plywood placed within our run and I took her out of her coop nesting box, along with everybody else’s eggs that she was sitting on, and then I put her in the nest in her own little area. She absolutely rejects the whole situation. She paces back-and-forth crowing, wanting to get out and doesn’t seem to show any interest in the eggs or the nesting box. The new chicks are on their way, there’s no turning back now. Not sure what to do.

How long was she broody? You may now have a big beautiful brooder.
About 2 weeks. This morning she sat in the nesting boxes all the way past noon moving once to the box that had other chickens eggs! If I did turn it into a Bruder, if she doesn’t take to the babies, it’s OK to have them outside? It’s so hot here and very very humid. Can they I have a fan just to stir the air?

About 2 weeks. This morning she sat in the nesting boxes all the way past noon moving once to the box that had other chickens eggs! If I did turn it into a Bruder, if she doesn’t take to the babies, it’s OK to have them outside? It’s so hot here and very very humid. Can they I have a fan just to stir the air?
She must have broken or is too stubborn to accept the new nest.
You likely won't need a heat plate or any heat source if you use it as a brooder, they're fine outside but a fan won't help them since their feathers block most breezes and they don't sweat as we do.

Back
Top Bottom